Search This Blog

Friday, April 28, 2006

Don't Write-Off Waco

Over the past month I've had the privilege to spend some time in Waco, TX (a place I always referred to as "wacko" when I was a kid). And I have to tell you, it’s better than you think. In fact, this place has so much to offer you’ll forget about that little branch davidian mishap from a few years ago. Here’s what they’ve got:


-Shopping: Old Navy, Ann Taylor Loft, Best Buy, Target
-Restaurants: Ninfa’s, some Italian place we ate at last night, a steak house, Elite cafe
-The Arts: a Museum (so what if it’s all about Dr. Pepper?)
-Crazy co-eds: I’m sure they’re around here somewhere
-Scenery: Brazos river…okay, that’s all
-Good folks: Seriously, it’s like everyone works for Waco tourism here and they’re making some kind of commission off of how many visitors they can get.

Really, I would have no problem living in Waco. I could get a lot of house for my money and walk to Ninfa’s every weekend. That’s not a bad life. Even if it is a little bit wacko.

We went running across this bridge yesterday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elsa! Justin doesn't quite share your sentiments about Waco... :) Me either, since he's there and I'm here. I'm glad he mentioned your blog!

Writinggal said...

Welcome, Crystal! Justin and I were actually just discussing this theory: I said, "Since you're here working then anything you do seems like fun. Ninfa's? Awesome! But if you and Crystal just came here for vacation it would be like, 'It was so lame. We just went to Ninfa's.'" I'm returning him to you today! And you can go to Ninfa's in Austin :)

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the El Chico across the street from Elite Cafe! My dad would meet me there during college once a month to give me my allergy shots.

And we have to give a shout out to Thea's hooker getting busy in the Texaco station bathroom in Bellaire just north of Waco.

Writinggal said...

Allergy Shots at El Chico? Now that's missee!

Writinggal said...

Sorry, Liz, I meant misee.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the Bellaire hooker. One of the fond memories of my childhood.

Liz said...

I'm sorry I missed this blog the other day. That's a REALLY nice picture of the Brazos river... it must be from like 1980 or something b/c that boat hasn't run in like 15 years and the river is brown and about two feet deep. :)

But agreed... Ninfa's makes a darn strong margarita and those co-eds are H-O-T. Oh wait... my brother and sister are co-eds there... everyone stay OUT of Wacko.