Search This Blog

Thursday, February 07, 2013

The Long Goodbye


The following conversation did not actually take place. It is an exaggeration of how I feel during the ending-part of every customer service related phone call I make. 

Me: Thank you. I appreciate your help. Bye.

Customer Service Rep: You're welcome. Did I resolve your problem?

Me: Yes.

CSR: Great. We always like to make our customers happy. Now, is there anything else I can help you with today?

Me: No, thanks. You've been really helpful. Bye.

CSR: Oh, good. Just remember, whenever you have a problem, you can call us.

Me: Okay, that's good to know. I appreciate your help. Bye.

CSR: It's really my pleasure. Are you sure there is nothing else I can help you with today?

Me: Yes. I'm good. Bye.

CSR: Wonderful. You take care now.

Me: Okay. Bye.

CSR: And if there's anything else I can help you with, just don't hesitate to call. We're open from 8am-5pm Central Standard Time, Monday thru Friday and 8am-noon on Saturdays. We're closed on Sundays.

Me: Got it. Bye.

CSR: But if you do have a problem on Sunday, you can email us.

Me: Okay. Bye.

CSR: You have a wonderful afternoon.

Me: I will. Thanks.

CSR: I mean evening. It's evening already! Where did the day go?

Me: I don't know. (But I've got a pretty good idea where the last ten minutes have gone.)

CSR: Thanks again for calling.

Me: BYE!

CSR: Would you like to take part in a 15 minute customer service survey?

Me: If  I did I would just tell them how you cannot end a conversation!! This is far beyond the expectation of normal pleasantry exchange. We've exchanged far too many pleasantries! I cannot, I will not be pleasant anymore!! Good day, Sir!

CSR: So is that a no on the customer service survey?


Footnote: When thinking of a title for this blog, I came up with what I thought was sort of brilliant: The Rules of Disengagement. I posted it with that one feeling proud of myself. This whole topic reminded me of how I often get trapped in conversations with strangers (and people I know!). I decided to look up that blog. When I did a search, this post kept coming up. I was so confused until I realized I already posted a blog called The Rules of Disengagement. You can check it out too if you are so inclined.

6 comments:

GR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GR said...

Regarding: (But I've got a pretty good idea where the last ten minutes have gone.) That line is so "Seinfeld." Remember when George was going on and on about someone who was boring? He observed that he had always had a feel for when others were being bored. Jerry replied, "Are you feeling anything now?"

Liz said...

Ha! I love that you had the same thought for a title twice and you were really proud both times.

I also love GR's comment.

Liz said...

(Is it bad that that's the best thing I took away from this blog except that I fully echo your sentiments?)

Writinggal said...

And that Seinfeld comment reminds me of something Leo said: He always gets really frustrated when I talk to another adult. I had a talk with him about his behavior and at the end of my lecture, I said, "How do you feel when mommy talks to someone too long?" He said, "The way I feel right now."

Unknown said...



Survey is a method of gathering data form the common people about a thing. It provides the correct idea about the things. It will really help a lot of people. I shared it with my friends on Facebook and Twitter. Thanks admin for this post.
Survey Providers