Search This Blog

Monday, February 04, 2013

The House Hunters Workout

I may not have my Workout of the Week blog anymore, but sometimes I still get the itch to share exercise ideas.

Ever since we moved back to Texas I've been doing what I call the House Hunters workout a few times a week (days I can't make it to the gym).  Hopefully you are familiar with HH or this might not make much sense to you. Feel free to check out my other posts on the subject to brush up.

The first thing you gotta do is DVR a bunch of House Hunters (House Hunters International works too.) There are two variations to the workout, one is interval based and one is endurance/strength. Allow me to elaborate.

Intervals:
I use the handy stopwatch on my iPhone and do 30 seconds to one minute of cardio followed by 30 seconds to one minute of a working recovery.
Here are the different cardio exercises I do:

Jumping rope
Jumping jacks
Jumping squats
(There's lots of jumping!)
Running in place (high knees)
Boxing
Mountain Climbers
Switch/Switch/Lunge (I learned about them from Kristi Yamaguchi. Here's some other chick demonstrating.)

So I do these intervals through the three house tours, fast forwarding through commercials. Then, when they reveal their house choice and show us their happy new home, I'm doing the plank, a back exercise and stretches. The whole workout takes about 23 minutes.

Endurance/Strength:
This one ties more into the show so I'll break it down like that.

Meeting the hunters/back story:
Warm-up + Cardio--one of the exercises listed above


House #1:

Weights/lower body
Triceps with wide squats x 24
Biceps with lunges x 16 each side
Shoulders with calf raises x 24


House #2:
Cardio

House #3:
More weights/lower body like:
Overhead press with squats x 24
Rows (no lower body) 16 each side
Flies with side to side squats x 24

Reveal/Home Tour:
Plank, back, stretches

Of course, if you don't like House Hunters (not sure we can be friends but...) you can use another TV show. It's good to have a plan. You know, so you're not just marching in place and fiddling around with weights while rolling your eyes at the Kardashians.





No comments: