Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Drumsticks = Summer

I love summertime. Sure, it’s really, really hot. And sure, I’m not on any kind of school break nor do I have kids who are singing, “School’s out for summer.” I’m not even going anywhere this summer.

But I still love summer—summer clothes, water activities…it’s all like that Country Time Lemonade commercial where kids are jumping in the lake and chasing fireflies.

And if you look in our freezer, you’ll also see another sign of summer—Drumsticks.

Frank likes to talk about the summer when he ate a Drumstick every day. Or was it that he ate a whole box of Drumsticks in one sitting? I can’t remember but somehow, he got tired of Drumsticks for a couple of decades.

But the Drumstick drought is over! A friend mentioned them and when I saw them in the store, I just had to have them. First, I bought the Lil Drums:

images

 

I thought they’d be perfect for Leo. And they were, but Frank really wanted the original Drumstick:

 

nestle-drumstick-ice-cream-cones-classic-variety-pack-8-4-6-fl

 

Frank was elated when he opened the freezer and found his favorite summer treat.

Now, I’m not sure why Drumsticks are more summery than any other ice cream novelty but it might be Nestle’s smart marketing strategy. They have a whole section on the Drumstick site called “Forever Summer.”

And that is where I found this awesome poem that summarizes my love for Drumsticks and my love for this season:

 

Summer isn’t deadlines, it’s tan lines. Summer isn’t a million things to do, it’s a beach chair in the sun, with nothing to do. Summer isn’t three months on a calendar, it’s a state of mind. And we’ve got our sweet summer memories to keep us warm all summer long.

So even though I’m not really on vacation and it’s unbearably hot, I’m gonna just enjoy summer and eat my Drumsticks…until those evil “Back to School” ads come out.

2 comments:

GR said...

When I think of summer in the Houston Metroplex, I think of scorching heat, no basketball or football, network reruns and, did I mention, SCORCHING HEAT!

Writinggal said...

You need some Drumsticks!!