Search This Blog

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Baa-Baa-Breakthrough



We knew Leo could sing "Twinkle Twinkle." It sounds like this: "Tinkle Tinkle uh uh TOW." And while we're mildly impressed with that, we do sing it to him every day before he goes to sleep. We're also moderately proud of how he can initiate other songs like "Itsy Bitsy Spider" ("Ittie Bittie Spi-dah") and "Muffin Man" ("Muh-in Man"). My point is that we're not easily wowed. We have high expectations for this little man.


So today when I was getting him out of the car after Mother's Morning Out ("Schoo!") he said, I mean SANG, "Baa Baa Black Sheep." And he didn't just sing the first line; he sang the whole first part: "Bah Bah Black Sheep, have you any wool? Yes sir, Yes sir, three bags full." Now it wasn't that clear but it was clear for a 21 month old. And clear enough that I knew exactly what song he was singing.


Well, I was majorly impressed. And not just because he sang so much of the song but because that's a song I NEVER sing! I knew that he had heard it a few times in his life but I seriously never sing it. I said, "Did you learn that at school today?" I thought for sure they must have just sang it. I wanted to email his teacher and ask but thought she might get annoyed.


He sang it again and I asked "Who taught you that song?" He said, "Rah Rah!" Well, I immediately called my mom and asked her. She said she sang it to him a few times when he was visiting. That was two weeks ago! He was singing it so well that I thought he must have just heard it minutes ago.


Later, I actually caught it on video!!






We just got back from the Y where he performed the song for all the amazed playcenter workers.


And here are just a couple of cute pics of our little singer. He earned those fake cookies today!









4 comments:

Kristin said...

Impressive! I think you should go to Hollywood to compete to be the next American Idol!

GR said...

I'm disappointed that he doesn't know the song I taught him:"99 bottles of beer(I mean fruit juice),on the wall." He's got a great voice!

Grandmother said...

We will sing a duet when I come to visit. Great memory!

Granny Jo said...

So very, very impressive! Glad I finally got to see and hear Leo sing....thanks for posting again.