Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lessons from the Granbury Girls



This weekend I saw some of my old (or should I say “mature?” No, that doesn’t really fit them either) friends from Granbury Drive--the Granbury Girls.

Cul de Sac Carrie flew to Atlanta and together we drove to Charlotte to see Susan. We had a great time laughing, eating and drinking and somewhere along the way, I came back with a bunch of life lessons:

Dishwasher Dividing: When you load the silverware in your dishwasher, separate forks, spoons and knives so it’s easier when you unload. This came from Carrie via Granbury Girl Wendy. I did it and I think it saved me at least 53 seconds!

Guest room goodies: Now I always leave a little basket of hotel-sized toiletries in the guest bath but Susan keeps hers in the guest bedroom nightstand. She also includes little perfume samples in there.

Pork tenderloin 101: I’m intimidated by pork but Carrie and Susan talked me through how to sear it and stuff it. I’m going to try Carrie’s stuffed spinach pork tenderloin next week.

Patio potting: My patio needs help and the GGs knew just what to do. They said that I need potted plants in each corner. “Great,” I said. “I’ll buy four potted plants, one for each corner.” That’s a gardening no-no, they explained. I need a few here, a few there—not one pot in each corner. (This is the before pic, by the way. I haven't gone pot shopping yet.) My patio is screaming for HGTV, no?



Wine airing: Have you seen one of these things? It's called a wine aerator. Susan had one. It makes any wine taste smoother. I wonder if it would help Two Buck Chuck.









Rolling with the wafers: I have a food chopper and a food processor but the former sometimes falls apart and the latter has too many pieces to contend with. Plus, both are too loud during naptime. So Carrie busted out the rolling pin and just smashed the Nila wafers like this:


Brilliant!

Those Granbury Girls, they should write a book: The Granbury Girls Guide to a Happy Home. I wonder where they stand on gridges

No comments: