Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

My Bug: Just like a hot girl.


Have you ever seen those shows where a hot girl dons a fat suit and proves that people are mean to the less-fortunate-looking?

Just the other day I saw two “Deal or No Deal” girls trying out this scheme:

They went ice skating as themselves and got free private lessons from the rink employees.

They hailed a carriage and got one right away.

I can’t remember what else they did but the next day they did it all again in fat suits. The rink employees? “We’re too busy.” The carriage driver? “Are you sure you’ll both fit?”

The girls cried. I’m not sure why. I mean, they could just take off the fat suits and go back to being silent mannequins on a game show. What’s so bad about that?

When they’re hot, they get anything they want: attention, free stuff, passes to the front of the line.

My VW Bug has a very similar life:

Everybody lets a Bug in. If I need to get over into another lane at the last minute, it’s no problem. If I need to turn left onto a busy road, everybody stops. This didn’t happen in other cars so I can’t liken myself to a Deal or No Deal girl. It’s the Bug! Nobody can resist it.

And the attention? The stares? Okay, this is all actually from kids 6 and under but it’s still fun. When I drive into the YMCA it’s like a parade. Kids automatically start waving at me. I feel so special. But as soon as I get out of the car they ignore me.

I can’t really say I’ve gotten free stuff because of the Bug yet but I think I could if I tried. Like maybe I could get some free fries at a drive thru. Or an extra lollipop at the bank. Great. Now I’m gonna be the girl in the fat suit who drives the cute Bug. I can’t compete with that.

No comments: