Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Gilmore Goodbye



Lorelai. Rory. I love those Gilmore Girls (or as Frank calls them “The Girls of Gilmore.”) And tonight is the last time I’ll get to hear their rapid-witty-mother-daughter-but-more-like-college-roommates banter. I’m bummed.

Here’s where I need to back up and admit two things:

1. I haven’t exactly been a religious Girls of Gilmore watcher for the last seven seasons. In fact, I think I only watched the odd seasons. Not odd as in weird-odd like Britney-shaving-her-head but odd as in odd numbers as in seasons 1, 3, 5 and 7…and maybe six which is an even number but I don’t think I saw every episode so I’m sticking with I only saw the odd seasons. (That’s my attempt at a Rory rant. You’d have to be a GofG fan to understand.)

2. I didn’t even know this was the last season until a few days ago.

But nonetheless, I love those GofGs. And not just Rory and Lorelai. I love Luke (hot), Logan (interesting character and a pretty good actor who you can also see on Veronica Mars which I’ve actually only seen once but he was on it), Paris (intense), Mr. and Mrs. Gilmore (I learned how to unfold my napkin from Emily.) I’m not crazy about Lane’s storyline but Frank likes it because when she’s around we can usually see Sebastian Bach. Oh, and I like Sookie, Lorelai’s b-fry. And really, I just love their town, Stars Hollow even though it wasn’t until season three that I realized that they didn’t live in a town called “Gilmore.”

And how about that theme song? GofG was one of the last shows that actually played the whole thing. Here’s a little sample (purely based on my odd-season-watching memory so this could be a little off):

If you’re out on the road feeling lonely and so cold
All you have to do is call my name and I’ll be there on the next train…
Where you lead, I will follow
Anywhere that you tell me to
If you need, you need me to be with you
I will follow…

I’m totally singing this right here at WG headquarters. So glad I don’t work with co-workers in a cube environment.

And besides the interesting characters, awesome theme song and clever writing, everyone in the GofG cast is a darn good actor. Okay, Alexis Biedel sort of seems like she’s doing scenes in high school drama class but everyone else is superb. If it were up to me they would all get Emmys. Especially Lauren Graham.

But I can’t get them Emmys nor can I make the GofGs stick around for another season. Tonight’s the end and I plan to have a big party for it. But since I don’t know that many people here and it’s last minute, I’ll probably just watch it. But not with Frank because he doesn’t really like it. So I guess I’ll just Ti-faux it and watch it later. It should be a big occasion.

I think we should end this with a recent Rory-Lorelai exchange:

Lorelai: “It’s totally doorknob.”
Rory: “As in ‘dead as a?’”
Lorelai: “That’s right.”

2 comments:

Writinggal said...

I totally bawled.

Anonymous said...

I never watch it in the US, but thanks to you, everytime I'm in Mexico I catch up with it. Of course, Mexico is about 4 seasons behind. I guess that means GGs is not actually going to get cancelled until 2011!

¡maravilloso!