Search This Blog

Thursday, March 07, 2013

Media Culpa

We saw this house that we are currently living in a year ago this week. I liked everything about it except two things--there was no window over the kitchen sink and there was a media room. See, I had actually written down on a list of "wants/don't wants" that I did not want a media room. Every one we saw looked like a dark storage closet (not that there are bright storage closets).

I had this theory (which I still think is pretty solid) that media rooms were something popular way back in the early to mid 2000s. It was an inexpensive way to make houses bigger since media rooms don't have closets or windows. Since they're expensive to outfit (with projectors or giant TVs and recliners with cup holders), most people just use them as extended playrooms or junk areas.

So anyway, we got the house with the media room and Frank made it his priority to do that room first. He got the giant television and started hanging out in there almost every night, watching Lost. I figured a man cave was better than a storage room. I still didn't have any use for it though.

But then we got a sectional! It has one of those double lounging chairs on the end and I love it. In fact, I'm sitting on it right now after just finishing an episode of Homeland. Yes, I am hanging out in the media room! And we come up here almost every night, mainly because we're obsessed with Homeland.  But we also watch movies up here and other quality programming like Nashville. Oh, and our neighbors gave us their old Play Station 2 so we sing karaoke after a couple of glasses of wine. Frank and Leo get up on Saturday mornings to watch a movie while I sleep in. What fun we all have in the media room!

Next to the laundry room, I'd say it's my favorite room in the house.

So I owe this media room and media rooms everywhere an apology. I misjudged you. If used correctly, you can be an asset to a home. And just think of all the money we're saving never going to the movie theater (not that we went a whole lot anyway).

We have room for two to three more people on the sectional (plus two more spot on the boys' bean bags) if you want to come over for movie night. Unless you think that is "so 2004."



3 comments:

Liz said...

1. We love Homeland. Language and dirtiness aside, it's awesome and way too intense for me to watch without wine.
2. I adore that you do karaoke and it doesn't wake up your children.
3. I'm so jealous of your sectional!
4. Post a pic of the room!

Writinggal said...

Okay, posted pics!!

Granny Jo said...

Hooray! You're using the room as intended!