Search This Blog

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Lots of Love

Who knew that Valentine's Day was a total kid holiday? It's not about romance, flowers and candlelit dinners when you have little people in the house. It's about paper heart crafts, Valentines and candy.

Leo got really into it. So much so that he insisted on making his own Valentines for his classmates.

"We're going to go to Target to pick out your Valentines that you can give to the kids at school. Won't that be fun?" I said.

"What about this heart I made? Can't I just make more of those?"

"Um, sure. So you could either make a bunch of hearts or you could pick out Valentines with characters on them like Star Wars or Transformers!" I said (not encouraging one way or the other, of course).

"I want to make them myself!" he said.

So he did. Well, we did.

I would draw a heart and write "Happy Valentine's Day" and "Lovey Dovies 2013." (His class' name is "The Doves" and the teachers call them "Lovey Dovies" so he asked me to write that.)

He would cut out the heart, sign his name and then decorate the back.

Then we attached Kit Kats to them with tape (which Frank said looked ghetto).

Oh, and I punched a hole in the top, tied ribbon and curled it. The ribbon couldn't be too long or else it looked too "gwirlie" (girlie).





They were cute in an "obviously homemade" kind of way, not in a "clever Pinterest" kind of way. And upon seeing the ones he brought home I can tell you we were the only ones who went this route! 




Gus and I attended the class party which was so fun. They made hats, handed out Valentines, decorated  their bags, played "heart potato" and bingo. They also ate lots of Valentines-themed food like heart-shaped strawberries, heart-shaped muffins and Leo's favorite--strawberry milk which he got to drink using a Twizzler as a straw. (Now that surely came from Pinterest!)  


Leo and Ben playing "heart potato." 


Gus thinks he is a Dove too! Here he is sitting with Ms. Desiree during a story.


Leo, Gus and "Lovey Dovies" playing bingo



Gus playing heart potato! 

Gus leading the class in song? 



"Hooray for Valentine's Day! It's all about us!" 



3 comments:

GR said...

Gus really believes that he is part of this class. I hope he'll enjoy it as much when he is an official member.

Writinggal said...

I hope so too! I sent that picture of him with the teacher to her and she replied, "We love our Lovey Dovies, current and future." It's likely he would have the same teachers!

Liz said...

I love that you went with "obviously homemade." I went with "obviously store bought" but so did the only other two moms in his class of 9 who did Valentines. Who knew the "South" was so unsociable on Valentine's Day?!