Search This Blog

Sunday, February 17, 2013

An Avocado a Day...


...keeps the doctor away? I sure hope so. Because, "Hello, my name is Elsa and I'm an avoca-holic."






Here's how my avoca-day looks:

Breakfast: Two pieces of bread with Laughing Cow cheese, toasted, avocado on top.

Lunch: Tortilla with Laughing Cow cheese (okay, this might be an addiction too), turkey and avocado

Dinner: If there's a salad, there's definitely avocado. If it's Mexican (which it is like three-four nights a week), avos are for sure on top and if it's really anything else (spaghetti, pizza, chicken in the crock pot), I'll find a way to work in an avocado.

So I'm averaging about 1.5 avocados a day. Luckily, while they're still a pricey vegetable (or fruit?), they're not as expensive here as they were in Georgia. In Texas we get them from Mexico so there's always plenty of 'em and they usually look and feel good. I like to buy four at a time. Love those four-packs that come in the net bag!

How do I tell if it's good, you ask? A good avocado has a slight give when you touch it. But if you're like me, and you're eating it as soon as you get home, before you unload the groceries, then it's okay if it's already super squishy. If you wait to long to eat your avocado then it gets brown and to me, tastes like bologna.

I know avocados are good for you but I also know they're high in calories. Since that's really all I knew, I yearned for more information about my favorite fruit (confirmed that now). I found this handy fact sheet. I'm pasting only the tid-bits that were interesting to me:


Mexico is the world's top producer of avocados, with California coming in second.

The average avocado contains 300 calories and 30 grams of healthy polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat. (Totally worth it in the calorie department I think!) 

Avocados have the highest protein content of any fruit.

Avocados contain more potassium than bananas.

One avocado contains 81 mcg of lutein, an important nutrient for healthy eyes.

This is all so informative and exciting; it makes me crave avocados even more! Tonight is fajita night so naturally we are going to have avocados. I like to add a little salt, garlic and lime juice to them with our fajitas to give them that restaurant flavor. 







This is not a picture of me but I do feel like this girl! Apparently this image is from a Pinterest group for avocado lovers. Must go join! Avoca-dios!

3 comments:

Granny Jo said...

Yesterday I had avocado with breakfast burrito, avocado with tuna salad over spinach & guacomole for snack. Love avocados! They're plentiful & cheap in Arizona, too.

GR said...

Your blog has me craving an avocado submerged in gin.

Writinggal said...

Writing this blog made me keep up my usual avocado routine today. But now I'm out of 'em! Will have to make an avocado run tomorrow!