Search This Blog

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Cell phones: convenient or catastrophe?

 

Cell phones are supposed to make our lives easier, even safer. But I believe they are making our lives more complicated. I first thought this on the eve of the 21st century, when I was at a little party called A2K—Austin’s New Year’s Eve block party. We spent the whole evening calling people on cell phones, trying to meet up. Maybe if we had gotten off the phone and looked around, we would have seen that the people we really wanted to see were right there (and that whole Y2K thing turned out to be no biggie).

It’s funny that I noticed this on New Year’s Eve because I think this whole dependence on cell phones really started 1/1/00.Ever since then we’ve been attached at the ear. It’s getting OOC. (And I’m not saying I’m innocent.)

Rather than ramble on about the whole thing, I’ll illustrate my point with a little exchange between two fictional friends named Ann and Fran.

 

Here is how Ann and Fran met up for lunch in 1994:

Fran: Hey, you want to go to lunch?

Ann: Sure. How’s Wednesday?

Fran:“Okay, see you there at 12.

(Wednesday, 12:00)

Fran: Hi, good to see you.

Ann: Thanks for inviting me. Let’s eat.

 

And here is how Ann and Fran meet up for lunch in 2010: 

Ann: “Hey, you want to go to lunch?”

Fran: “Sure. How’s Wednesday?”

Ann: “Okay, see you there at 12.”

(Wednesday, 10:00am, text exchange)

Ann: Are we still on for lunch?

Fran: Yes.

Ann: Okay, see you there. Call me when you’re leaving.

(Wednesday, 11:30, phone exchange)

Fran: Hey, I’m going to leave in, like, five, minutes.

Ann: Okay, call me when you’re in the car.

(Wednesday, 11:45, phone exchange)

Fran: Hi, I’m in the car. I’m on the freeway. I’ll probably be there in 15 minutes.

Ann: Me too. Call me when you’re exiting.

(11:53, phone exchange)

Fran: I took the wrong exit so I’m going to be about three minutes late. Sorry.

Ann: That’s okay. Call me when you’re, like, four minutes away.

Fran: Where are you?

Ann: I just exited.

Fran: Okay, you call me when you’re at the light in front of the restaurant.

Ann: The light on Mills Rd?

Fran: No, the light on Hills Rd.

Ann: Oh, I’m there right now.

Fran: Okay, then call me when you’re at Mills Rd.

(11:55)

Ann: I’m at Mills Rd.

Fran: I’m at Hills Rd.

Ann: I’ll call you when I’m in the parking lot.

(11:59)

Ann: I’m in the parking lot. Where are you?

Fran: I’m in the restaurant.

Ann: How did you beat me?

Fran: I don’t know but I’m at a booth in the back.

Ann: Okay, I’ll call you when I’m walking in.

(12:01)

Ann: I’m walking in. I don’t see you.

Fran: I’m way in the back. I’m wearing a red shirt.

Ann: OMG. I’m wearing a red shirt too!

Fran: I think I see you. I’m waving. Do you see me waving?

Ann: No.

Fran: Oh, I’m waving at the wrong person.

Ann: I see you! You’re on the phone!

Fran: Yes, I see you too! You’re on the phone!

Ann: I guess I’ll hang up.

Fran: Well, wait until you’re sitting down just to be sure.

Ann: Okay, I’m here now. You’re right in front of me. I’m going to hang up.

Fran: Hi, good to see you.

Ann: Thanks for inviting me. Let’s eat.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Ha! I mean... that's pretty close. I don't think mine usually go on QUITE that long, but definitely more difficult than just "see you there." O.O.C.

Cute blog background, too!

Granny Jo said...

How very true, sad & hilarious. I'm guilty.

Granny Jo said...

And I'm meeting Rah Rah for lunch on Monday..we've already agreed to call in the morn to reconfirm. Ten the 1st to arrive will certainly call the slacker.

Tizha. said...

Haha, I think you've earned my respect here. This is so so SO true about people nowaday. I was just thinking about this the other day...

OH! Also.
I just got rid of my phone (or rather, I just got it taken) and so far I've been pretty dandy. There's been a whole lot of stress taken off my shoulders. :D