Search This Blog

Monday, March 08, 2010

I reckon I'll write a blog

Every time I see the word "reckon," I think, "Now there's a word you just don't hear enough. I need to try to use it more." So that's what I'm going to do this week--incorporate the word reckon into everyday conversations like:

"Hey, Elsa, what's for dinner?"
"I reckon we'll have some leftovers."

"Who's hosting playgroup this week?"
"I reckon it's your turn."

"Mommy, I eat banana."
"You can eat a banana, I reckon."

What was once a term reserved for hillbillies is now, I think, southern chic. See, it can be fancy too:

"What designer are you wearing?"
"I reckon it's Oscar de la Renta."

"Will you be having the steak or the fish?"
"I reckon seafood sounds really good."

"Are you going to the opera?"
"I'll be there in my Oscar de la Renta gown, I reckon."

I believe there's a place for reckon in business settings too:

"When are you going to get that story to me?"
"I reckon I'll turn it in by the due date."

"What time is the meeting?"
"I reckon it's at 3:00."

"Why do you think I should give you this job?"
"I reckon I'm qualified and I deserve it."
"You? You sound like some red neck."
"No, it's southern chic! I read it on a blog!"

I reckon I may have my work cut out for me.

2 comments:

Granny Jo said...

I reckon in Texas we're fixin to read your blog.

Writinggal said...

Fixin--that's a good one too!