Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Trans Fats, Like a Long Lost Friend

What’s the deal with trans fats? Everybody’s freaking out about ‘em but I gotta tell you, they’re hard to find. Frito Lay, just for a random example, got rid of trans fats years ago. So even though our pantry is stocked with chips, none of them have the TFs. Being worried about eating trans fats is kinda like being scared of getting struck by lightening (although even in little does that’s bad—need to work on my similes).

One day Frank and I scoured the pantry, looking for trans fats. We couldn’t find any. Not one tiny gram of a TF. And it’s not that we only have super healthy food. We’ve got cookies, cake mixes, tons of baking stuff, crackers, even peanut butter! I thought PB was known for TF! What gives?

Frank said, “I couldn’t eat trans fats if I wanted to!”

Then one morning I was making those awesome Pillsbury cinnamon rolls that come in the tube. You know, the ones that pop when you twist the container? Frank always makes me open it so he can see me jump. It’s like that glaucoma test at the eye doctor. I know the poof is coming but I still fly out of my chair every time.

So right after I jumped, I happened to peek at the label. What? What was that I saw? Next to Trans Fats where it usually says 0, it said something like 2. That’s TWO per serving. And there are eight cinnamon rolls and we each eat four (I know, we’re total pigs) so that’s 8 TFs each.

“Frank, guess what! Our cinnamon rolls have trans fats. Lots of ‘em!” I said.

“Finally!” he said, quite gleefully.

We chowed down on those TFs with no regret. And we lived to tell about it. After all, it didn’t really matter when every other day of the year is a TF-free day. It’s like getting one bad sunburn (although they say now that even one can double your chance of skin cancer so that doesn’t really work).

Frank was explaining his trans fat frustration to a co-worker the other day. He said, “I can’t find any trans fats! Nothing has trans fats anymore!” She said, “How about those Grandma’s cookies you eat every day?”

Oops. Totally Trans Fat full. He eats one every day. Frank, you’re not still eating them are you? That would be like touching the plate when the waitress says it’s hot…which is fun…kinda like trans fats.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Is still eat them, but hear G-Mas is coming out with trans fat free cookies soon.

It is hard to find trans fats in the grocery store and is getting difficult to find them at fast food restaurants. The final hold out is full service restaurants.

So, does this debunk your theory about being skinny and poor or fat and rich?

Writinggal said...

I'm not debunked. Everybody knows that full-service-restaurant food can't make you fat. It's more expensive so it must be healthier.

Liz said...

lol. I love that you and frank talk about this stuff via your blog. p.s. aren't you always trying to say "this large food company that frank works for"? and all the sudden you throw it out there that EVEN FRANK'S company, Frito Lay - the makers of all fantastic chips and junk food products - has no trans fats! outrageous!

Writinggal said...

I just used Frito Lay as a "random example." I have no bias towards that company.

Mmmm...cheesey poofs.

Anonymous said...

Even Dunkin Donuts is getting rid of trans fat. I guess that means I can eat a bucket of Munchkins every day and not get fat.
Can't wait until Shipley's gets rid of it, then I can live on a diet of kolaches, glazed donuts and of course Cheesy Poofs!!

Jessi said...

Mmmmm...kolaches

Writinggal said...

Jessi-do they have kolaches in Vegas? I'll have to check here.

Whenever I would go in the kolache store in Friendswood without Jessi they would say, "Where your friend?"

Jessi said...

Nope, no stores here. But Justin and I found a few chains in Minneapolis of all places. Guess that's another reason to move there.