Search This Blog

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Step Aside Samantha Brown




We freelance writers usually have niches, specialties, beats if you will. They can get pretty specific, too: dollhouses, miniature horses, 15 days of the Korean War.

But no matter what a freelance writer claims her niche is, she will always set it aside for the genre of all genres, the most coveted and sought-after category: travel.

This week I am on such an assignment: in Blowing Rock, NC. I used to envy bubbly Samantha Brown on the Travel Channel, jetting off to South America, Europe and New Zealand. But now that I’ve walked a mile (or twelve) in a travel reporter’s shoes, I see that it’s quite tough:

First of all, I didn’t jet anywhere. I drove. Four hours. Plus forty-five minutes. I can’t just relax. I have to talk to people, interview them, take notes. They try to schmooze me so I’ll write nice things about them. I have to think of interesting questions. Oh, and when I’m not with those people, it’s not like I’ve got friends or family to hang with. I’m on my own: eating, shopping, touring. People are all, “Who’s the lonely girl?” And the walking, my God, the walking! And did I mention I don’t have cell phone service here?

Okay, I just said all that so you wouldn’t get envious with a capital E. Travel writing is the bomb. It’s like a free vacation. No, I take that back. It IS a free vacation. I have a room with a freakin’ bidet. A bidet! It’s like I’m Oprah!


And hanging out by myself? Awesome. You know why? I’m totally fun to hang out with. Why wouldn’t I want to hang out with me? Plus, the best part about me is that I let me do whatever I want! I don’t have to do something just because someone else wants to do it. And if I want to eat fudge in my hotel room while sipping on a miniature bottle of wine, I can. And I am, by far, my favorite shopping partner. I go in a store, look around, don’t buy anything and leave.

In fact, I think I’ve got it better than Sam Brown. She’s got a camera crew with her when she travels. Since my assignment is print (and I’m not the subject of the photos, thank God) I don’t have to worry about looking good for some camera. And I don’t have to share my fudge with some key grip.

Okay, I’ll stop boasting now. Nobody likes a bragger. Especially one who has a Jacuzzi whirlpool tub in her room, even if she can’t figure out how to use it.

The bottom line is that I like travel assignments and I like me. Oh, and I like fudge.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Two posts in one day? I'm in heaven.

And yes, you are definitely someone that would be probably most happy just hanging out by themselves. I've been hanging out with myself almost all day every day for about 3 months now and I'm not bored. I'm actually quite entertaining to myself. :)

Writinggal said...

But if you were here, SHE, it would be da bomb!

Oh, and I totally take pictures of myself too with the camera timer. Maybe I like ME too much!

Anonymous said...

Please, please take Samantha's place on the Travel Channel - I can't stand her! Her voice drives me crazy... you're much funnier and you look much better in a bikini. I nominate you!

Anonymous said...

I dislike Samantha Brown so much. It is because I AM envious of her with a capital "E".
I know I could do a much better job that her, especially if I partnered up with my sister "writinggal"!
I am really annoyed with her right now because she is doing a series on Latin America! I cannot even watch. I think I need therapy! Hosting a travel show is my dream job!

Writinggal said...

Poor Sam. I like her okay. But not as much as my fave travel hostess--Brooke Burke!