Search This Blog

Thursday, June 22, 2006

TEN DAYS OLD!



Get ready to say, “Eww,” and “Those Simciks are nasty!” I don’t care; I’m proud to admit that this morning Frank and I drank milk that was TEN DAYS past the due date. In Frank’s defense, he didn’t know it was ten days past the due date. If he even knew it was one day prior to the due date, he probably would have opted to skip breakfast. But I knew it tasted fine. How?

Yesterday we returned from a five-day vacation and I checked the milk, thinking it would be just a couple of days old. When I saw that the due date was June 12th I didn’t even want to pick it up, much less drink it. But out of curiosity I examined it. And then of course, I smelled it. The problem is that milk ALWAYS smells weird. It’s milk. So there was no other choice. I had to drink it. I poured the tiniest amount into a glass and sipped it. It tasted fine! So naturally, I put the carton back in the fridge and turned it so Frank couldn’t see the due date.

Then, this morning Frank got up earlier than usual. Ah! I had to get down there to make his cereal before he could see! I managed to make both our cereals (he the Smart Start, me the Kashi) before he caught on. He didn’t notice that it tasted bad (because it didn’t) and he’s feeling fine now. Aren’t ya, Frank?

Now why am I sharing this “accomplishment” with you? Because I know someday soon you’ll have some milk in your fridge that’s two, maybe even five days old. You’ll think, “Should I or shouldn’t I?” Then you can remember me and my ten day old milk. I hope to be a milk idol for you—your milk mentor of sorts. Oh, and don’t worry, I did dump the rest of the milk out and I’m buying a new one today. I’m not THAT disgusting.

7 comments:

Liz said...

Ok.... give me ONE guess as to how old the milk* was in Kate's fridge at college when she FINALLY threw it out as she was moving out.

*It was never opened so that's a hint that it can last a long time without driving you to vom when you open the fridge.

Writinggal said...

Three months?!

Liz said...

um.... no. October 2005. It was thrown out June 2006.

Writinggal said...

That's approx. 230 days older than my milk!

Jessi said...

SICK!

Anonymous said...

I just threw my 7 day old milk out when I got back from the grocery store because we just got back from our 6 day trip to Mexico. I should have read my e mails and Elsa's blog before I went to the store. Oh well...I still would have thrown it out with out smelling it or tasting it.

ReadBecca said...

Dairy products are good for a week after the expiration date. I looked it up. So you only had 3-day-old milk, which is 7 less than 10. That's huge.