Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

My Softer Side

I had gum surgery yesterday. Now I’m left with stitches, a couple of “gum band-aids” stuck in my mouth (including one that makes me look like I’m dipping) and the best part, a diet consisting of only soft foods! Why am I excited about this? It means I have to follow rules! Well, really just one rule: no chewing. Oh, and they also discourage the use of straws.

Last night I went to the grocery store to stock up on softies for the next two weeks. I got:

Oatmeal (which I’ve already eaten twice now)
Cottage Cheese
Yogurt
Ice cream (It’s like I got my tonsils out!)
Tons of soup (tip: don’t get private label soup. Gotta go with Campbell’s. The other stuff tastes like toilet bowl cleaner. Not that I know what that tastes like but you know what I mean.)

I also got bananas for my smoothies. Yesterday, while I was recovering and before we went to the store, I was still groggy from the drugs and had to create some sort of soft meal based on what we had in the house. For some reason, a peanut butter and banana smoothie sounded really good:

1 banana
3 tablespoons of whipped peanut butter
Some milk (not sure how much cause I was loopy)
A few pieces of Kashi

Even though I couldn’t use a straw it was excellent! One of my better smoothies I must say.

So today on the meal plan is:

Breakfast: Oatmeal
Lunch: PB and banana smoothie; some yogurt
Snack: Cottage cheese
Dinner: Soup (The exciting part will be picking which kind. I’ve got ‘em all.)
Dessert: Ice cream

So on day two that still sounds pretty good. I’ll let you know what I think by day 14. I probably won’t even want to hear the word soup. And I’ll be dying for a straw. But hopefully I won’t pick up a dipping habit.

7 comments:

Writinggal said...

One rule I don't like: No alcohol for five days.

Anonymous said...

That is a hard one!! I made that rule for myself so I can dry out from Mexico-if you know what I mean...

Writinggal said...

Well there goes my plan for giving you a big bottle of Tequila as a thank you for driving me to the surgery, Cul de Sac Carrie!

Anonymous said...

I'll eat extra Kashi just for you Elsa!

Anonymous said...

It could be worse: what if no alcohol for 14 days and soft food for 5 days...hummm

Writinggal said...

You are very brave, Dad Frankie. I had the same surgery done. Hopefully my mouth won't look like Donald Trump's head though.

Anonymous said...

Writing gal is the "Queen of Instant Mashed Potatoes"

I guess you can drink for the 4th though!