Search This Blog

Friday, March 03, 2006

Why Air Supply Rocks


The sounds of Air Supply are like the anthem to my 5th year. Who knew a kindergartner could have an anthem? I guess that means the five-year-olds of today will later reflect on “I ain’t saying she’s a Gold Digger…”

It’s not that lyrics like “Making Love out of Nothing at All” rang true with me, it’s just that I remember hearing all those beautiful ballads on the radio during that time. Let’s say AS was more like the soundtrack to my post-toddler/pre-tween years.

And no matter what age you are you gotta love some “Lost in Love and I Don’t Know Much” or how ‘bout a little “You’re Every Woman in the World to Me?” And you have to have a cold soul to not pump up the volume on “Here I am, the One that you Love, Asking for Another Chance…”

I know the name “Air Supply” is a little lame but that doesn’t mean they don’t totally rock. Really, I’m surprised that Russell Hitchcock and Graham Russell couldn’t come up with a better name. Sometimes I like to just call them “Russell H” and “G Russell.”

But to be honest I wouldn’t recognize those Aussies if they knocked on my front door. But then again, I probably wouldn't answer it. But if they showed up and I happened to answer the door then I would probably say, “Dammit, you’re not Girl Scouts. You’re not the Publisher’s Clearinghouse people. You look like aging rock stars.” And then Russell H would probably say, “That’s right. We’re Air Supply.” I totally wouldn’t believe him because in my head, Air Supply looks just like Hall and Oates.

But that doesn’t mean I’m less of a fan. You gotta admire these two. They had a string of top ten hits in the late 70’s, early 80’s and were has-beens by ’84. But they didn’t stop. They’ve been putting out albums ever since. Who knew? Obviously nobody and that’s why they haven’t sold. But Russell H and G Russell are like little engines that could. They think they can, they think they can and recently, they really could. Their tours have been selling out and their website boasts that they “smashed attendance records in Cuba, playing to 175,000 people.” Really, Cuba? There must be a ton of kindergartners there.


5 comments:

Jessi said...

I had to make a local commercial for them and I used this great DVD with all their music videos on it. AND them chatting about it.

You might like it. The earrings, the tight pants, the big hair. It's classic.

btw, I've been waiting for this post!!!

Liz said...

I wish they would've named themselves "Russells" because that's what they look like now. :)

Anonymous said...

I own their "Greatest Hits", and it is!
"Lost in Love" is the the best cheesy song ever.
Maybe in Cuba they do not have choice and have to attend, or maybe they just know great music!

Writinggal said...

So jealous of you, Jessi. It's like you know the Russells!

Speaking of the Russells, in Liz language that means a stupid, dorky person.

I am a Russell myself because I just got that word verification wrong and I have to re-do it!

Anonymous said...

We talked about it at lunch today, and Lisa and I were a little embarassed that neither of us had heard of the Russells. . . we're more of the NKOTB generation :)