Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Ten years = Ten times the fun?

My ten year high school reunion is this weekend and I've got a pro/con list waddling around in my brain about it:

Pros:
--I look better now than I did in high school. Sure I weighed less then but that weight was 88. Hardly sexy.

--I've got a cute and successful husband to show off.

--I still keep in contact with some friends from HS so at least I know I won't just be talking to my cute sucessful husband all night.

--I didn't date anyone in high school so I don't have to worry about any awkward introductions.

Cons:
--Even though I look better, I think I'll still be seen as that 88 pound girl who had to have her jaw broken just to look normal. And then go to school four days after the surgery wearing a teeth splint and sporting facial swelling/bruising. Thanks again, Mom and Dad.

--That cute successful husband of mine doesn't love to socialize. Will he need me to baby-sit him all night?

--The girls I keep in contact with are way cooler than me so maybe I will be talking to my husband all night.

--I didn't date anyone in high school so who am I going to show off my hot over 100 pound body to?

I always thought ten years would be so long that we would forget who was cool, who wasn't, who peed their pants, who had the messed up jaw. But it really doesn't seem that long ago. In fact it seems like just yesterday that Brad Jones told my friend Kathy that I was the ugliest girl he had ever seen. And that was in junior high so it was like 15 years ago!

I told Frank (said cute successful husband) that his main job is to not let me get drunk. I can see the whole thing now: I've had about four glasses of wine, I spot Brad Jones across the room (who ironically was probably the ugliest guy I had ever seen in junior high and in this daydream still looks the same), walk over to him and say loudly, "Hey, Brad! See this??" (as I twirl in my backless dress), "You call this the UGLIEST girl you've ever seen?" And even if he's not as intoxicated as me, he has to admit I shouldn't be #1 anymore. I mean, come on. He's gotta at least give me the 2,000th ugliest... That's quite a jump in ten years. I'm proud. Go Wolverines.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually ended up talking to more people that weren't in 'my group' at my high school reunion. It definitely wasn't as cliquey as ten years prior. As a matter of fact, someone actually told me I was much nicer now. Guess that happens when you no longer have to act cool in order to get a good seat at lunch.

Anonymous said...

Brad Jones? Honestly, do you think he'd show up? I'm sure you'll talk to many people, like Thea said. Plus someone else might remember you having your jaw broken. "Hey I remember you... and your life in braces!" Oh and I'm sure cute successful husband will find someone to talk to, even if it is the bartender.
Don't forget your Letter Jacket!

Writinggal said...

Good call on the letter jacket, Jess. It will look so hot with my black dress. I guess I'd be glad if someone said I was nicer but I'm going for hotter.