Search This Blog

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Meet my gym friends

When I worked out at the YMCA in Austin, I had a pretty good network of friends who were all in the 55+ category. Now that I'm in Dallas I sure do miss my workout pals like Woodie the lawyer and Sydney the sculptor.

The good news is that I've joined a new gym (24 hour fitness) and made lots of new friends. Well, I haven't actually talked to any of them yet but I know all about them and I'd like to introduce you to them:

Uni: She's in my spin class and I call her Uni for two reasons: 1. She does her own spin routine rather than following the teacher's instructions. She rides her bike standing up for the full hour. Anal Elsa doesn't mind this at all! It wouldn't take long for a Sesame Street viewer to identify "which of these kids is doing their own thing." 2. She wears a unitard. Nuff said.


Clepto Clarice: CC likes to steal people's spin bikes, especially mine. The other day I got my bike all set up (which is a big pain in the unitard) and sat down on the ground right next to it to put on my fancy spin shoes. Right after I secured the last velcro, I looked up to find CC making herself comfortable on my bike, right next to her friend. Uni. So I said, "Hey! Could you not see that I was sitting right next to that bike? I mean, if you pedaled you would have run me over!" Okay, I didn't say that. I just got all huffy and went to another bike. But don't think I didn't give her the evil eye.


OCD Olivia: This chick is about 45 and addicted to running on the treadmill. I'm not really consistent about what time I go to the gym but OCD Olivia is ALWAYS there. This leads me to believe she either works out several times a day or she lives there (I mean it is open 24 hours). Olivia is super skinny and runs faster than anyone else on the treadmill. Plus, she's on it for like hours. One day, I was on this new machine called the treadclimber (Don't ask. Well, if you must know it's like a cross between a treadmill and an elliptical.) Anyway, Olivia was in front of me on the treadmill. I saw her stats--she had run 8 miles! Can you imagine? Eight miles and all you saw the whole time were the ladies of The View? So she gets off the treadmill and asks me if I'm almost done with the treadclimber. I told her, "No, I still have 20 more minutes but haven't you done enough today, Olivia?" Well, I said something like that.

Lisp girl: Oh, yeah-you aleady know Caithlyn from another blog. But I still can't get over her screwed up name, can you?

Screwed up Steve: Now in this case, I've really got his name right. At least the Steve part. He's also in spin class and he's like the class clown. He's very vocal about how he hates the gangsta rap they play which is what he calls anything from 50 Cent to Kelly Clarkson. Also, he keeps his towel in his mouth the whole time. Maybe so he can prevent himself from growling at Uni.

So there you have it. My new workout friends. I'm already dressed to go to the gym and visit (well spy on) all of them. I'll tell them you said hello. I gotta get going. This unitard is really ridin'.

No comments: