Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Get out there, Girl Scouts!

I really want to post this on Facebook but I'm too scared of offending people so I will say it here, where the audience is much smaller:

"Even if social media had been around when I was a Girl Scout, I'm pretty sure my parents would not have used it to sell my Girl Scout cookies."

But they should know--these people who peddle cookies for their daughters--that I am a loyal customer. And they are losing my business by using these avenues for increased cookie sales. I am firm on this: I will ONLY buy Girl Scout cookies from Girl Scouts. I want 'em straight from the source.

No moms.
No dads.
No grandparents.
No pets.
No internet sales.

If they want my business (and I'm good for AT LEAST ten boxes) then they've got to pound the pavement. That's what I did. And I didn't even have any chaperones. I went all by myself to neighbors I knew and you know how much I sold? A lot. A lot of damn cookies. I had to use some skills: "Oh,
you're on a diet? Why don't you try our Trefoils?

"Yes, the cookies do seem expensive at $2 a box but they are only available for a limited time AND I don't collect the money until I deliver them."

"Worried you're going to eat all the thin mints at once? You can freeze them!"

I learned tons about selling, marketing and talking to people FACE to FACE. My face to their face not my parents' faces to their FACEbook accounts.

 I understand that these days little girls can't go around and knock on doors by themselves. That's fine. They can bring their parents with them but the grown-ups need to hang back and let the Girl Scout do the work.

I just had one come to my door the other day. She was an older GS at 14--good for her! She's a pro. I bought four boxes from her. I've learned not to put all my eggs in one basket because other worthy scouts may come to my door later. Plus, we like to pick up a couple at the grocery store tables next month.

Parents who sell their kids' cookies may think they are doing a noble thing because ultimately, it's more money for the Girl Scouts. But really, you're doing your daughters a disservice. If you're selling their cookies for them, what else are you doing? Their homework? Their college applications? Their JOB applications?

Get outta the way and leave the cookie sales to the girls in green.


2 comments:

GR said...

I couldn't agree more! And yes, you were a hell of a cookie seller back in the day.

ElizabethF said...

I totally agree. I loved, loved, loved delivering the cookies (in the red wagon, no less) all around the neighborhood. Selling girl scout cookies via Facebook is crap!