Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Fun Fitness Facts

Tuesday, January 7th, will have the highest gym attendance of 2014. This is according to my own anecdotal evidence, having worked in the fitness industry for the past eight years. This is also based on my having been a frequent gym goer since the turn of the century. So that's a combined 13 years of experience that helped me come up with this fun fitness fact (read: just a hunch).

As everyone knows, the New Year's Resolutioners will be out in full effect this month. But they don't start right out of the gate, at least when it comes to gym attendance. Today, for example, I hit the gym and had my pick of treadmills. No, they'll start when it's more convenient--next week. Yes, the first full week back at work, that's when the NYRs like to go from the couch to CrossFit.

But if we pinpoint it even further, down to which day of that week they'll be swarming the spin classes, we would discover that it's definitely Tuesday. I will explain why by listing the excuses people (myself included sometimes) make for not going to the gym on other days:

Monday: It's Monday. I'm tired from the first day back at work. I have a case of the Mondays. I'm still recovering from the weekend. It's Monday.

Wednesday: It's hump day. It's wine down Wednesday. I have church on Wednesdays (Okay, can't really argue with that.)

Thursday: I like to go out on Thursdays, like a prequel to the weekend. Or at least that's what I did in college. I don't actually go out on Thursdays now. It's just a habit to not work out on Thursdays.

Friday: TGIF does not mean "The Gym is Fun" or "Triceps Glutes Indoor Fitness."

Saturday: It's my day off. I got back-to-back kids' soccer games. I'm not even sure the gym is open on Saturday.

Sunday: "And on the seventh day, God rested." Me too.

But Tuesday? What excuse can you possibly have on Tuesday? Obviously nothing because I have noticed that Tuesday is the most popular day at the gym. If people can't make it any other day, they show up on Tuesday. So you can see how, based on all of this non-officially-researched data, that it makes perfect sense to predict that Tuesday, January 7th, will be super crowded at gyms all over the world.

So to those of you actually go to the gym in months other than those that end in "ary," I suggest you stay away on January 7th. Or any Tuesday for the next few weeks.

And for those of you who have made working out your New Year's Resolution, I say…

Easy, Tiger.

Start with a walk. Start by saying you'll go three times a week, not seven. And maybe, just to shake things up, try going on a Wednesday.




No comments: