Search This Blog

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Split Personality

This morning I told Frank, "Did you see that half a banana on the counter? That's for you." He replied way too enthusiastically, "I didn't see it but I'll go eat it now!" It occurred to me that every time I've left a half a banana for Frank he seemed super pumped about it. Why? What was with the banana-thusiasm?

I realized it was because Frank LOVES to split things. Now, had I said, "There's a full, unpeeled banana on the counter for you," he would have said, "Nah. Is potassium really necessary?" But since it was a HALF of a banana, he was gung ho. 

When we eat our fajitas on Sunday nights he's always up for splitting a third one.  "I can't decide if I want more," he always says, and then adds, "Wanna split one?" Let me point out that he asks this after he has already eaten two and I have taken one bite out of one. "I can't commit to splitting one yet," I have to tell him. But we usually do end up splitting because he's so pro going half-sies. 

If we're ever eating in a group and someone says, "Does anybody want to split one more (hamburger, hot dog, rack of lamb)?" Frank is the first to jump up, mid mouthful, screaming, "YES! I'll split one!" He'll even split beers. 

I'm usually down with splitting (even a beer) but only if it's a first course.  I don't go to a restaurant and say, "Let's just split something" unless it's fajitas for two.  

If it's a big dessert, I'll split it. But I hate it when I want to have a cupcake and Frank says, "I don't need my own. I'll just have a bite of yours" and I give him the evil eye because I know that is code for splitting! I mean, I will gladly split a banana with you but a cupcake? That's just taking it too far. 

BTW, we totally need this half a banana holder! 

3 comments:

Granny Jo said...

Maybe he likes to feel connected to someone else, so he likes to split or share his food. Or maybe because his dad always wasnted a taste of whatever Frank was eating....a Simcik thing.

Jessi said...

The exact thing happens in my house with Justin especially when it comes to treats. "Wanna share a one scoop ice cream?" dude, it's ONE SCOOP, get your own!

Liz said...

Granny Jo is hilarious and probably right. And also, you are married to the funniest dude on the planet. Or maybe it's just funny because you interpret it that way. Luckily... otherwise, he might drive you bat $--t crazy. :D