Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Elsa

cash-physical-therapy-willow-tree-home-com-big-letter-eI don’t know how to say this without sounding like I’m bragging so I’ll just come right out and say it: I have the coolest name.

Really, it’s not bragging because I didn’t choose my name; my parents did. (But if we go with that theory that’s like saying, “I’m gorgeous but I’m not bragging because it’s just genetics.”)

The great thing about Elsa is that it’s unusual but not too unusual. You hardly ever run into another Elsa yet it’s spelled just like it sounds and there’s no confusion about the pronunciation. (Well, of course, some people think I’m saying Allison, Elisa or Elsie but that comes with any name.)

I started thinking about this when a friend told me that another friend of hers was considering naming her unborn child Elsa. I said, “Oh, it needs to make a comeback! Well, actually it’s never been popular so I guess it wouldn’t really be a comeback.”

I’m happy that it hasn’t become popular but, on the other hand, I can’t believe it either. Why hasn’t it caught on? I searched it on the Social Security Administration and last year it was the 691st most popular name. Most years it’s in the 700s, 800s or even 900s. Elsa’s best showing was 1915 when it was ranked 392.

When you have a cool name like Elsa, you stand out. People remember you. Another fun thing is that people comment on it. I’d say at least 70% of the time that I introduce myself, the person says, “That’s a pretty name.” How nice is that?

The other day I met a woman who got really excited when I told her my name.  “Oh my gosh,” she said, “That’s my mother’s name! I hardly ever meet anyone named Elsa!” She looked like she was gonna cry. Elsa has that effect on people.

So to the friend of the friend who’s thinking of naming her baby Elsa, this Elsa says you should do it. She’ll be unique and special (although she might have a tendency to brag).

8 comments:

Writinggal said...

Also want to add that nobody needs to feel pressure to comment with their love of the name Elsa (or hate for it, for that matter) :)

GR said...

I'm glad that you like your name. I like "Ron," but not the formal "Ronald," or the very casual "Ronnie." So I call myself "Ron," but when I say it with my last name someone will often hear it as "Juan." A name like yours is much less complicated.

Granny Jo said...

Do you know how and why your parents came up with the name Elsa? And, I couldn't imagine you with any other name...it's perfect!

Writinggal said...

I just know that they liked it because it was German. Juan, want to add anything to that?

Thea said...

So in the last 100 years, the name Thea has only broken the top 1000 names 10 times. Back in the 50s & 60s. Ranked in the 900s. Boo.

Although Padma on Top Chef used it as the middle name of her baby daughter...so maybe it's poised for popularity.

Writinggal said...

Wow, not even in the top 1,000. That's a pretty poor showing, Pam. (I just re-read that blog about people thinking you say "Pam" when you say "Thea.")

Thea said...

Lucky Pam though. Hit 125 in 1959!...only to fizzle out in 1973 at 997, never to return to the top 1,000.

Jessi said...

Elsa was on our short list :)

I hope Jules feels the same way about his name when he's older.