Search This Blog

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Southern Charm

This is an excerpt of an actual exchange I overheard at Starbucks in Roswell, Georgia earlier this week:

(An older lady was fumbling around with her coffee and straw and was blocking the door.)

Younger man, 40ish: “Excuse me, ma’am.”

Older lady: “Oh, I am so sorry, sir. Please forgive me. You go right ahead.”

Younger man: “Oh, no, ma’am. After you. I insist.”

Older lady: “That’s very kind of you, sir, but please, you go ahead.”

Younger man: “No,no. YOU please go ahead, ma’am.”

When I left they were still doing their dance of politeness and I don’t think either was getting out of there anytime soon.

I don’t think the other SB customers thought anything of it because that is a very typical occurrence around here. Having good manners is not just a southern cliché. It’s reality. Everyone is über polite.

Practically every conversation is drizzled with, “I hope I didn’t offend you” and “Oh, I’m sorry. I think I interrupted you.”

I’ve also found that if I complain about anything then my other mom friends think it’s their fault:

“Leo was so bad at the store today.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry! I should have offered to keep him for you!”

“I have nothing to make for dinner tonight.”

“Oh, I was just at the store. I should have picked up something for you. Come eat at our house!”

And sure, we have rude drivers here but sometimes I honk at someone because they’re taking too long at a green light and, instead of giving me the finger, they WAVE at me like, “Thanks for reminding me! I’m so sorry!”

It’s all just very sweet and charming. But now I know I could never live somewhere like NYC or France where I imagine things would go more like this:

At the Starbucks:

“Get out of my way, old lady!”

(Old lady dumps coffee on younger guy’s head.)

Talking to my friends:

“Leo was so bad at the store.”

“Sucks to be you.”

 

“I have nothing to make for dinner tonight.”

“I never eat. That’s why I’m so skinny.”

 

Yes, I’m definitely spoiled here. Oh, and if any of my blog offended you, I do apologize.

4 comments:

Granny Jo said...

Sitting at the SLC airport waiting for our rental car...everyone smiling...no yelling...a cute young guy gave me a seat. All I need is a Starbucks. Totally enjoyed reading your blog.

Kristin said...

When I was in Paris visiting a friend, the butcher at the grocery store told my friend, he knew I was either American or British because I was smiling!
I thought, shouldn't all of you be smiling, you live in Paris!!

omkar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
omkar said...

came across ur blog randomly n loved d post..
cheers..!!
p.s. deleted previous comment coz of some errors!!