Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Unnecessary Quote Explanations


As you know, the “Stars, they’re just like US” section in my US Weekly is my favorite. Next comes the stories about celeb cover shoots: “Scarlett Johansson munched on grilled chicken and edamame while listening to Mary J. Blige tunes on her iPod.”

But my third favorite is “Loose Talk: what the stars said this week.” It’s quotes and pics of my celebrities, semi-celebrities and reality stars.

For some reason, though, US Weekly feels the need to offer these little explanations under the quotes. For instance, here’s one from a couple of weeks ago:

“Before I found Spencer, I had so much Chaos.” On finding peace in love, Heidi Montag.

Did we really need that “On finding peace in love” addition?

Here’s another:
“Hip-hop will be in a great place because I am back.” On planning to dominate the music genre, Eminem.

Thanks. I think he was pretty clear.

They put a UQE on Beyonce:

“My sister is the Twitter queen. She told me about the Twittering but I don’t get it. I feel like I’m really old. I’m like, What? I don’t understand. Just call me." On trying to bridge the generation gap, Beyonce.

It’s like US thinks we’re stupid or something. I guess some US readers might be. I mean, it’s not the New Yorker but it’s not the Enquirer either. Here’s a quote from me about the whole thing:

“I think US Weekly should take out their UQE and put more ‘Stars they’re just like US’ pictures in there. I love to see celebs pumping gas and picking up dog poop.” On how she would like to see the magazine change, Writinggal.

No comments: