Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

RSVP Reversal

I may not speak French but I know that répondez s'il vous plait means " get off your ass and tell the person if you’re coming or not." And I’m a stickler about it. I usually respond the day I get the invite which means that I’m at the top of the hostess’ list. I wasn’t ever sure if that afforded me any particular party rights but I knew it made me feel good

But you have to think that the host/hostess probably tells the guest of honor (who is presumably the one you’re friends with) who’s coming. So if the h/h tells the GofH from the get-go “Elsa called…she’s coming” and then every update after that ends with “Oh, and you already know Elsa’s coming. She RSVP’d the first day…” then the GofH starts to get used to the idea that you’re coming.

Last week I tried a different approach, completely unintentionally. I RSVP’d that I would not be attending a baby shower. But at the last minute my circumstances changed and I was able to attend. Instead of telling the GofH that I would be coming, I kept it from her. I only called the hostess the night before and told her. Now this is somewhat poor form because it’s not as if the hostess can order more food at this point or change anything, but still, I thought I should tell her. She probably thought, “What’s another person? How much cake can she eat?” She didn’t know me very well, obviously. (And by the way they only had one of those diaper cakes. It was an awkward scene when I tried to cut into it.)

But because I didn’t tell the GofH I was coming, she was very surprised and thrilled to see me. And since she was pregnant and hormonal, she even cried!

Check it out:

Okay, well she wasn't sobbing but if you look closely, you can see the tears. Yes, my presence brought tears to the GofH's eyes.

Speaking of presents, I didn’t even bring one because I had already sent one online. I just brought a card stating as much.

All in all, it turned out to be a wonderful strategy and I had a nice time despite the diaper cake catastrophe.
I actually have a baby shower to attend this weekend and I’m thinking of pulling the same stunt. Or maybe I’ll find out what kind of cake they’re serving first.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Yes... all the secrets and ploys and conniving are totally worth it if somebody cries when they see you. :)

Writinggal said...

Of course sometimes the GofH cries for other reasons when they see you but I'm pretty sure this time it was tears of joy.