Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Playing Games

I don’t get Deal or No Deal. I mean, I’ve never watched it but I think that all you do is guess how much money is in a suitcase. Am I right? Frank says, “That’s like a show where you hold out your fists and say ‘which hand is it in?’”

Me, I like the more high-brow game shows like Wheel of Fortune. Now that takes brains, quickness and strategy. But those idiots are always buying vowels all over the place. I would never buy a vowel. Big waste of money. I went to a taping once and at the end they were going to draw numbers from the audience so we could actually be contestants. At first I was psyched. I totally rock that game at home. I make fun of people. I get those speedy puzzles before anyone else. But there, in front of Pat and Vanna, I panicked. I was so scared they were going to draw my number that I withdrew, saying that my boyfriend worked for American Airlines, one of the sponsors (which was true but probably not a rule they enforced).

But I’ll never forget this one contestant circa 1998. Here’s what she had to work with:

T_E CL_NT_NS L_VE AT 1600 PENNSYLV_N_ _ _VEN_E


The contestant said, “The Clintons Live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.” Can you believe that? What an idiot!

Oh, wait. This may not have come across clearly in blog-form:

She didn’t say that they “live” there as in they inhabit the house, she said “live” with a long "I" as in, “The Rolling Stones: Live and in concert!” So it came out as “The Clintons: Live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue!”

Poor Girl.

In general, though, game shows make me feel icky, much like soap operas. They remind me of lounging around and being generally unproductive, something I only allowed myself to do in college, when my parents were paying for it.

On Mondays when I’m leaving spin class they’re always playing The Price is Right in the “cardio theater.” I don’t know how anybody can work out and watch Bob Barker. To me, seeing him just makes me want to lay around in my pajamas in my dorm room, pondering if I should eat lunch or breakfast since it’s 10:30 and I just woke up (and missed class).

And hearing him say, “Get your pets spayed and neutered” just makes me want to go back to bed.

I’m feeling lazy just talking about it. I really should get into that “guess which hand it’s in” show instead. I would totally rock at that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never seen "Deal or No Deal", just seems like too many people involved.
I love the "Wheel" and "Jeopardy". My plan is to go on the"Wheel" first and then get used to being on a quiz show, and then tackle "Jeopardy". I would probably freeze up though.
Nothing better than catching the "Showcase Showdown" on "Price" between classes in college. I love how the people always pass on the one without a car.

Writinggal said...

Oh, I'm way too dumb for Jeopardy.

And maybe everyone knows this but the people they choose on Price are not random. A girl from my sorority was on it and they totally interview you before.

Hint: Dress Texan.

Anonymous said...

How about "Who Wants to be a Millionaire"? I like that and "Jeopardy". Elsa, that was a good blog, I laughed.

Jessi said...

My Canadian friend Poodle was on and won. Then came back the next night and won again.

He showed us the VHS tape to prove it. He said Pat and Vanna are rude in person and don't even talk to you.

So I don't watch the wheel anymore. Plus I'm too dumb for it.

Writinggal said...

CC, your shows are way too high-brow!

Jessi, remember Joanna from high school also won big time on Wheel of Fortune!

Anonymous said...

Wasn't that Joanna that used "Live" incorrectly???? Or was it just someone on her show, because I know that story too!

Writinggal said...

No, Joanna dominated the game! And the person with the "live" problem was another show. I used to watch a lot of Wheel back in the 90's.

Stephanie said...

I thought the person who said "Live" wrong was a man... and not that it matters, but a nice looking black man....