Search This Blog

Monday, December 01, 2014

The Naked Truth about Shopping on Thanksgiving

I'm so ashamed. We shopped ON THANKSGIVING DAY. I don't like shopping; I don't like crowds; I don't like stuff. Yet, I dropped off Frank at Best Buy at 4:45pm on Turkey Day so he could buy me an iPhone 6.

It was really his idea. He knew I needed a new phone and it was $100 off.  But the line was at least 150 people deep. It was cold. And it was THANKSGIVING!

Now, I don't think anyone needs to make a law that stores can't open on Thanksgiving. I just wish stores wouldn't do it. But they do. And we went.

After I dropped him off I started to have second thoughts. The whole thing was just sickening. I drove by the line and rolled down my window to beg Frank to reconsider. "Are you sure you want to do this because I don't need a phone that badly? It's not worth it!!"

The other people in line surely thought I was crazy. (Now if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black…)

"But you need a new phone," Frank said. "Should I pay $100 more next week?"

Then a Best Buy employee came up to my car and offered me an ad.

I shook my head and said no and I suddenly had a flashback to the Austin YMCA. (This is where the "naked truth" comes in.)

See, I was equally horrified when "the nekeds" at the Y tried to get me to join them in the communal shower.  Back then, I was waiting for a shower with a curtain and the nekeds looked over at me and said, "Do you want to just get in here?" At that time I also shook my head and said no. I thought they were weird and I wanted NO PART OF IT. That is exactly how I felt at Best Buy on Thanksgiving. I thought the people there were weird and I wanted NO PART OF IT.

And I also thought (in both cases), how could you think I would want to do something like this? Ew. Yuck. I'm not one of you. In fact, if I have two rules in life, it's that I don't shower in groups nor do I shop on Thanksgiving. (#3: I don't hoard.)

But, since Frank was in line for something for me, I guess I did indirectly shop on Thanksgiving. I tried to keep it on the DL. Frank called it, "That which we do not speak of." But now I am admitting it to the world (or the handful of people who read my blog) because I feel a little bit guilty enjoying my new iPhone. I said guilty…not dirty…not dirty enough to take a communal shower with the nekeds.





2 comments:

Liz said...

NOOOOOOOoooooo....... j/k. You saved $100. :D

Claire said...

Oh all the stories I've heard of yours, I have never heard the communal shower story. So funny!