Search This Blog

Monday, December 29, 2014

Life before and after having a Disney princess with my name




When Leo went to see Frozen last year and told me that "the queen's name was Elsa," I thought, "Oh, that's kind of neat."

Little did I know it would change my life. Frank thinks this whole thing has gone to my head. But I don't think I'm overstating things when I say that having the same name as a Disney princess-turned-queen is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Sure, getting married, having kids, blah, blah, blah…lots of people do those things. But who else has had this experience? Perhaps an Ariel? A Belle? A Jasmine? Sure, those movies were hits. But were they the HIGEST GROSSEST ANIMATED MOVIE OF ALL TIME? Nope. That honor belong's to Frozen. So just imagine what life is like once this happens. Well, you don't have to imagine. I am going to paint you a picture--life before having a Disney princess with my name versus life after having a Disney princess with my name:

Life before: 
--Meeting a new friend:
"Hi, I'm Elsa"

Possible responses:
"What? Allison?"
"Oh, that's a pretty name."
"What? Elisa?"
"What's the story behind your name?"
 "What? Elsie?"
"You don't hear that much."
"Es el nombre de mi madre."


--At a restaurant:
"What name would you like to put down?"

"Frank."
"Jennifer."
"Mandy."

--To kids:
"I'm Leo and Gus' mommy, Ms. Elsa."

Crickets. 

Life after: 
--Meeting a new friend:
"Hi, I'm Elsa."

(All from adults:)
"From the movie?!!"
"What? Your NAME is Elsa? That is so cool!!"
"Like in Frozen?"
"Are you going to freeze me?"
"No way!!"
"Wait. That's your name? Your REAL name?"
"How did your parents come up with that name?"
"And you have blonde hair like her too!!"
"Your kids must be so excited!"
"My kids will be so excited!"
"Can I take a picture with you?"
"I'll never forget your name!"


--At a restaurant:
"What name would you like to put down?"

proudly "Elsa"

Hostess reaction: see above adult reactions.

--To kids:
"I'm Leo and Gus' mommy, Ms. Elsa."

Kids' reactions: see above adult reactions except kids often gasp, put their hands up to their faces, Home Alone style.

Even when I call customer service reps for something I get Elsa comments. I called to have an exterminator come out and the person on the other end said, "My granddaughter would love your name!" And it's not just kids and parents of young children. It's all ages. The teenager at Taco Bell gave me a, "Nuh-uh, you mean like from Frozen?" I always say, "I had it first."

I suppose the excitement will fizzle. Frank says I'm on minute 14 of my 15 minutes of fame. But for now, I'm gonna ride this wave. It is SO MUCH FUN. And there are tons of things with my name on it! I've got a bag, a t-shirt..okay, that's it so far but I've got my eye on some more merch.

I just feel a little guilty, enjoying all these accolades for doing nothing at all. I shall pay it forward. I shall put in a good word to my friends at Disney to name their next princess after my other friend with an interesting yet unfamiliar name. So look for Princess Thea coming to theaters soon!






3 comments:

Kristi said...

Well Thea does have a Tory Burch handbag named after her already...

Ha ha ha, this post made me laugh out loud!

Liz said...

Hysterical and awesome.

Unknown said...

I honestly haven't seen the movie.