Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My Crazy Ex Theory

I bumped into a friend the other day and, gossip that I am, asked her about another friend that I haven't seen in awhile. She said that this other friend is in a serious relationship with a guy who has been married twice before. "Apparently his ex-wives are both crazy," she said with an eye roll.

I'm not buying it either. That's because I have a theory and it goes something like this: If someone says to you that they have a crazy and/or psycho ex than that person must be, in fact, crazy themselves.

There's really no way around it. I'm not talking about if they went on one or two dates with someone and realized that person is crazy. That could happen and the person claiming that the other is crazy could still be sane. But if they actually had a relationship with the alleged crazy person, then they fall under my theory.

Here's why:

Take the guy who is dating my friend who was married to two crazy women before. There are only two possibilities here:
1. That he dated and married a crazy person, got divorced and then dated and married a crazy person AGAIN.
2. That he is making the whole thing up.

So either way, he's crazy, right?

If you start to date someone and a few dates in they mention a "crazy ex" of some sort, there's no way it can end well.

You would have to ask them: "What did this crazy person do?"

He might say, "She called me ALL THE TIME. If she ever saw me with another girl, even a co-worker, she would go like psycho on me. And one time, she left a trail of graham crackers all the way from the entrance to my work to my desk where she had decorated my cube with troll dolls.
"

"Were you chained to her? Why couldn't you break up with her?"

"I tried! She wouldn't take no for an answer. She was CRAZY, I tell ya!"

"How long did you date?"

"Off and on for two years."

That's when you say, "I need to consult Elsa's crazy ex theory but I'm pretty sure you fall under the category of certifiably crazy."

You see, there is no such thing as a "crazy ex," only a crazy couple. I do hope this helps you to weed out the crazies in your life and let them all just be together.




2 comments:

Kristin said...

As my friend Chris says, "Common denominator, YOU."

I also would add to this, that when people say their ex "became crazy" I find this hard to believe. Perhaps if you had dated them since high school, but as adults, you probably just liked them enough to overlook the crazy, then when you didn't like them as much, the crazy really stood out.

Writinggal said...

I love that common denominator line! And yes, it doesn't add up when they say they suddenly turned crazy either. Here's one of my favorites: You lie down with dogs, you come up with fleas.