Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Santas and Syringes--in one place!

We used to make fun of this store in my hometown called "Video and Yogurt." We thought these types of combination stores were just silly. Where do people come up with these ideas? Well, I recently found one in my new hometown. I don't want to disgrace this establishment by saying its name ("Video and Yogurt" is long gone so no harm there). But this place sells "medical supplies and collectibles." It's a strange store. You walk in and to your left you see things like bandages, tape, gauze, blood pressure monitors, nebulizers and wheelchairs. To your right you've got about a gazillion Christmas ornaments Santa statues and Disney figurines. They're barely separated. The adult diapers are right next to a Snow White ornament. But that's okay because each ornament has a tag that says, "Not a toy. For adult use only." (Hmmm....not sure about the wording choice on that one.) Oh, and since these ornaments are "collectibles," they're like $125!

And speaking of high prices, their medical supplies ain't cheap either. I glanced around and couldn't see why someone would schelp over to the medical/collectible store for overpriced bandages when they could get them at their neighborhood Walgreen's.

So where did this business model come from? "I want to start a medical supply store but I also have all this Christmas crap lying around my house. BRAINSTORM!!"

OR was it like, "I know a lot of people want to buy overpriced Christmas stuff but they're always driving out to the big Canton flea market for it. Maybe I could mark it up here in town and save them a trip." And then someone else said, "And you know a lot of people who like to buy adults-only ornaments also need Depends and crutches. So maybe you should sell those too."

So like I said, I'm not here to slam any small business owner so I won't reveal its name. However, if you are in need of a Donald Duck knick knack and a walker but really don't want make two trips, send me a note cause I've got JUST the place for you.


2 comments:

GR said...

Darn. I wanted to rent a video and eat some yogurt. Now you tell me the place went out of business. I guess I'll have to go to two different places. Bummer.

Writinggal said...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, GR.