Search This Blog

Sunday, September 30, 2012

I Love Lamp...The Sequel


Okay, so I've got some bad news: Remember my awesome lamp? It was destroyed in an unfortunate incident involving a four-year-old boy, a husband and a football. That was weeks ago but I have yet to find a replacement because a). I was in a mourning period and b). It's hard to replace something that you adored.

The good news is that the lamp shade remained unscathed in the tragedy. So I searched online for a non-breakable lamp to go with my super cool translucent shade with no luck. My mom and I even carted the shade around the Frisco Mercantile (the suburban equivalent of a flea market), looking for a worthy base. Nuthin'. The always helpful Thea emailed me a link to a metal, round-shape lamp that might be indestructible. Alas, I told her that half my household would probably think a round lamp was a ball and use it as such. She suggested that I get a rubber lamp in the shape of broccoli.

So, as you're starting to understand, it is quite difficult to properly light a home with rambunctious young males. Oh, and then I had one other criterion that was hard to fulfill: I didn't want it to be wooden/brown. I really wanted a tiny bit of red, to match my rug and the lamp shade. But really, any splash of color would do.

And that all leads me to today when I went shopping with my mother-in-law, Granny Jo, at the biggest Kroger in the whole world. It is so big, in fact, that you'll need to remind me to write another blog about it. So we're in the furniture department (yes, it has an extensive home decor section) and we see that they sell lamp bases.

And...ta da...we got this one! It was $31.99 with my Kroger card. And yes, I know it's kind of brown. But it's like a shiny, metal brown and when my lamp shade shines upon it, it has a tint of red. And y'all, it SWIVELS! So if you're on the love seat, you swivel it over there and if you're on the couch, you can swivel it that way.




And if you're a four-year-old and a toddler, you swivel it round and round until it breaks. So we'll see how long this lasts. 

No comments: