Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Orega-no-no


I think I've mentioned before that there are very few foods I don't like. And I think I also mentioned before that this didn't happen until I was 27--the whole me-liking-everything-extravaganza. So on the very small list of foods I don't like are:

  • Olives 
  • Pickles
  • Oregano
The third one is not even a food but rather a spice. (Some say it's an herb but my Google research suggests that spice is correct.) Whenever I explain why I don't like oregano, people look at me like I just said I don't like pizza...or U2...or Fridays. They get this really confused look and then change the subject. So at the risk of scaring you away from my blog, I give you my anti-oregano spiel: 

Have you ever accidentally eaten chicken that's not quite cooked enough? What does it taste like to you? To me, it tastes like cleaner. Like you sprayed 409 on your food and then took a bite. That is exactly what oregano tastes like to me--cleaner! So when I eat something with oregano I freak out and scream, "Ewww! This chicken isn't cooked all the way!" And Frank reminds me, "It's the oregano." And then I'm in a pickle (the second food I don't like). I continue to eat, trying to convince myself that the food is actually cooked all the while doubting this in my head: I'm sure it's cooked. I'm sure it's just the oregano. But what if it's not? What if tastes like cleaner because it's not cooked all the way? What if I get salmonella and I'm up all night throwing up? Ew, throw up. I'm disgusted. I can't eat now. Stupid oregano. 

So how are doing? Thinking I'm crazy? I wondered if anyone else felt the same way so I did a Google search for things like "Anyone else hate oregano?" and "Don't like the taste of oregano" and "Oregano tastes like uncooked food." I shouldn't have done that because now I know...

I am all alone. 

And for some reason...some evil trick played on me by the universe...I ended up with TWO bottles of oregano in my spice rack. I never use them but I can't get rid of them. Today I made lasagna that called for O and I just skipped it. (I did use the basil that my mom and Leo planted in my backyard though!) 

On a side note, the lasagna did not turn out so great. I accidentally bought the need-to-boil noodles but meant to buy the no-boil noodles but didn't realize I had the NTB noodles until I had already put them in the oven, not boiled. I could have sworn I bought those other noodles! 




I can still hear the faint sound of maniacal laughter coming from my spice rack. 

9 comments:

Kristin said...

I feel the same way about tarragon. It tastes like soap, and can ruin something perfect like chicken salad. People look at me crazy when I say I do not like watermelon.

Writinggal said...

Wait...does watermelon have tarragon in it? I'm okay with both. This reminds me of when Ross didn't like ice cream. "It's too cold!"

Wendy said...

Yayyyyyyy. I cooked twice this week with oregano and swore that somehow soap got in my dish. You are not not alone!!!!

Unknown said...

You are sooo not alone. I hate oregano; tastes like liquid soap- or cleaner to me. As does Marjoram and cilantro which I've been told are related. Every time i'm forced to mention it people look at me like I'm crazy...Nasty, nasty stuff!

Unknown said...

Same here. I have two things of oregano. Finally discovered what that soap flavor was in my food for the last few weeks. Boo!

Unknown said...

Same here. I have two things of oregano. Finally discovered what that soap flavor was in my food for the last few weeks. Boo!

Unknown said...

Everytime I eat something with Italian seasoning I tasted soap and I like cilantro (I know it isn't in the seasoning) but I couldn't figure out what I was tasting. I searched every spice and herb and found this. So no you aren't alone I hate oregano with a passion.

Unknown said...

I hate cilantro and I never had an issue with oregano before tonight. This evening I was eating a dish with oregano and it tasted soapy! That's never happened to me before. Dang.

Fern Assard said...

I just made my homemade sauce. I accidently bought crushed tomato with oregano already in it. It is ruined. Oregano tastes like soap or chemical taste....you are NOT alone.