Search This Blog

Monday, July 02, 2012

Big Ideas

I really have no patience for unoriginality. That's why I cringe when people say really cliche or expected things. For instance, on House Hunters, when they look at the master bedroom closet, the woman always says, "That's big enough for my clothes. I don't know where all your clothes are going to go." Do you think you're the first person to say that, lady? And ugh, I myself have mentioned that example before. There I go, being unoriginal.
I think this all stems from the fact that I have a lot of really awesome ideas. Now I don't act on 99% of them but still, they're up there, brewing. Today I'm going to share three of them with you.  Things are better in threes. (Or is that kind of cliche? And why doesn't Blogger add an accent when I write cliche? My email does it on cafe!)

1. A couple of weeks ago I had some mushrooms on hand so I put together one of my crazy sandwiches--avocado, mushrooms and Laughing Cow garlic and herb cheese. Okay, it's not that crazy but Frank would think it was gross. And it actually wasn't a sandwich but a wrap. It was so delicious.

And that's my first big idea.

Just kidding. My ideas are way better than that. But that gave me an idea. I thought, "I really like avocados. I really like mushrooms. I really like them together. What if I had a restaurant called Avocados and Mushrooms? It would have funky sandwiches and wraps and when I emailed with the staff about it I'd say, Hi, A&M employees...wait. The acronym would be A&M? I can't have a restaurant with that nickname! But an Aggie could. That would be a great restaurant for an Aggie to own. They'd have a built-in client base right there. In the meantime, I will think of another restaurant that could be shortened to UT....Umbilical Tadpoles? Under Train? Umlaut Trance? There's nothing!!"

2. Besides having super awesome, original ideas, I have another talent. (It's unfair, isn't it?) I am really good at singing theme songs to kids' TV shows. I memorize all the words really quickly; I do all the voices and I even have some choreography. Leo doesn't appreciate it but I'm pretty sure other kids would. So if I could just get Leo to act interested then I would do a home movie of me performing one for him, like Dinosaur Train or Little Einstein's or my personal favorite, Jake and the Neverland Pirates. I'd plant it on YouTube and act really surprised when it goes viral. When it does, I will need to do a media blitz, performing my TV theme songs for all the talk shows. Naturally, a DVD deal or two will pop up and I will insist that we need to keep this simple--no big production budgets. I will be called "Theme Song Mom" and kids will beg their parents for my DVD. I may even need to do a mall tour. It worked for Tiffany.

3. Here is a business idea I have: A company called "Just Write." All we do is write copy--for newsletters, articles, brochures, whatever. We don't get all wrapped up in the production of any of it. Because at Just Write, we only hire the best writers. If you go to a brochure-making shop, the copy is really secondary. They throw some words together and then spend all their time on the graphics and layout. I realize it's not exactly turn key but I think we can keep our prices down by not requiring the overhead involved in running a graphics shop. So you can go to Just Write for your copy and then take it over to your designer or Kinko's (now FedEx Office) or your brother-in-law for the layout. Okay, so I don't really have the business plan worked out but I DO have a cool name, right? Write?




2 comments:

GR said...

"Used Tacos"; you contract with other restaurants to sell you the uneaten portions of tacos ("Im so full, I can't finish my taco"; then resell them to late-night stoners on The Drag.

Writinggal said...

Brilliant, GR. I see where I get it.