Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Whatever happened to Cookinggal?

I love it when publications or news magazine shows run "Whatever happened to?" or "Where are they now?" pieces. It basically means "This person was once really successful and now he or she is a loser. Let's check in and see what he or she is doing that will undoubtedly seem quite pathetic when you compare it to the height of their career."

Jake Ryan from Sixteen Candles is a popular one. He was the hunk of the moment and then he was gone. Apparently he makes and sells furniture now. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But the dude was Jake Ryan. Come on.

Anyway, I thought I'd do a "Whatever happened to?" about Cookinggal:

She first made her appearance on the blog in 2005. She was my alter ego of sorts. (And now that I've admitted that I will stop talking about her in the third person.) I went from not knowing how to brown meat to making meat loaf to following recipes to baking to CREATING recipes! From 2005 to about 2008 I evolved into this amazing (or perhaps just decent) cook. I loved trying out new recipes. I loved sharing recipes. I loved tweaking recipes and even being the authority on all things Mexican. My mom even got me a Cookinggal apron for Christmas one year.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly when Cookinggal started to fizzle. Or maybe it was April 30th, 2008 when Cookinggal took on another role--Mommygal. (So maybe it's not too hard to pinpoint.) Sure, I still cooked but I guess I didn't make anything worth blogging about. But let's face it, I didn't do as much blogging either.

So where has Cookinggal been from 2008 to 2012? Well, she's been changing diapers, calming tantrums, potty training, driving to school/classes/parties/playgroups, giving baths. And when she (there I go again with the third person)...I DO cook, it's usually mac and cheese or "eggs I may pick up with my hands." (The latter I don't really cook. I just heat up Nancy's petite quiches in the microwave but Leo calls it cooking.)

But I've decided now that I have two kids and one of them seems like he may be a promising eater, I will cook again. I will try to make meals that the whole family can eat--something hearty enough for Frank, healthy enough for me, basic enough for Leo and edible enough for Gus. Yes, Cookinggal's got her (my) work cut out for me. But I'm ready to don that apron again. In fact, I put it on just the other day. And this time I had a very helpful assistant--Cookingboy (although he prefers to be called "The Baker's Man.") Even he knows how to brown meat. Well, not really but he can stir a mean muffin mix.

I'm raising a new generation of cookers. Not the pathetic ending you were hoping for, huh?





3 comments:

Thea said...

My family still talks about The Great Canned Tomato Grocery Store Meltdown of 200X. :)

You've definitely come a long way. Perhaps a new kitchen (along with your new staff) will bring a new inspiration.

GR said...

Maybe Leo can be an outdoor grill master, like his dad.

Writinggal said...

Thea, in that original blog about Cookinggal I talk about how i had to call you to ask where the ricotta cheese was in the grocery store! Pathetic!