Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

It's okay to be fascinated with the Kardashians


Here are the definitions of fascinate, according to Dictionary.com:

Adjective:
1. To attract and hold attentively by a unique power, personal charm and unusual nature, or some other special characteristic.

2.
to arouse the interest or curiosity of; allure.
3.
to transfix or deprive of the power of resistance, asthrough terror: The sight of the snake fascinated the rabbit.

Verb:
to capture the interest or hold the attention.


Don't Kim, Kourtney, Khole and the gang meet these criteria? Then it's OKAY that Barbara Walters put them on her "Most Fascinating People" list. People--like Bill O'Reilly--got all bent out of shape that Babs included the K's on her list.

He said, "They have no talent. They can't sing, they can't act. They just sit around and whine."

She came back with, "You cannot totally disregard pop culture because you know nothing about it."

Then he said, "I don't think they set a good example to young American women."

It's really all about semantics, people. "Fascinating" to Bill O'Reilly means that you must have done something great. You must have worked really hard and achieved something. But to B.W. it means you captured everyone's attention, which, if you look above at my trusty definition, is exactly what fascinating means.

I'll admit it, every now and then if I happen to be flipping around, I have sometimes been inclined to keep up with the Kardashians. I do find them fascinating.

What does Kourtney see in Scott?
How does Kim have such a prominent rear while the rest of her body is so petite?
Is Bruce Jenner thinking, "What have I gotten myself into?"
How can Khloe and Lamar seem like soul mates when they only dated like, a month, before getting married?
What's the deal with Rob?

Besides, they are always on the cover of my US Weekly so I can't get away from them. In fact, in December, there was a K sis on the cover three weeks in a row. I used to call it Jess Weekly (since Jessica Simpson was always on the cover) but now I think I'll call it Kardashian Weekly.

Now, if there really was a magazine called that, I would not buy it. I'm not that fascinated by them. (Although I may be fascinated enough to read the cover of it in the checkout line).







2 comments:

Thea said...

Not to blow your mind or anything but according to Page Six the Kardashians "are close to landing a deal with American Media Inc, which owns Star, The Natl Enquirer and Shape, to launch a glossy dedicated to the family."

Not that I'll buy it...but I'm sure I'll be scanning the covers in the checkout lane.

Writinggal said...

Mind officially blown! Thanks, Thea!