Search This Blog

Sunday, January 02, 2011

Puking up Christmas

IMG_3582

 

IMG_3648

You know that feeling when you’re really hungry and you can’t imagine being full? You’re waiting for your food at a restaurant and you think, “I’m going to eat every bite of it and then, if I’m still hungry, which I’m sure I will be, I’ll ask my dining companions if they plan to finish their food. If they won’t let me have any, I’ll order more food. I’ll just eat and eat and I’ll never be full!”

And then you start to eat and you think, “This is awesome! But I’m still hungry. I’ll keep eating.” And you eat and eat and finally, you’re full.

Then you realized you ate too much. You’re so full that you want to puke. You look at your empty plate in disgust. “How could I have ever been hungry? I’m so full! I can’t even look at another potato. Don’t even say the word potato, please. I can’t believe I was so hungry! I’ll never eat again!”

Do you ever feel that way?

That is exactly how I feel about Christmas.

Right after Halloween, I thought, “Oh, goodie! It’s almost time for Christmas! There’s Christmas stuff in the stores. When will the easy listening station start playing all-Christmas-all-the-time?”

By Thanksgiving I was super hungry for Christmas. I wanted to get out the decorations before but I held myself back. This year I don’t think we decorated until December 1st. “Oh, I wish Christmas was longer!” I thought. “I’m not going to be ready to take down the decorations January 1st.”

Oh, but I was. I couldn’t get that garland, tree and nativity scene out of here fast enough. We packed it up today and I thought, “Ew, Christmas. How could I ever have been excited about it? I’m ready to get back to what the church calls ‘ordinary time.’” Of course, after we packed it up we keep finding Christmas-ish things. “Yuck! I can’t even look at that glass gingerbread house. Makes me want to puke!”

I’m so grateful the easy listening station went back to ordinary music too.

I did see Valentine’s Day stuff in the store today. So once I puke up Christmas, I’ll be hungry for big hearts filled with assorted mystery candies.

5 comments:

Writinggal said...

Just realized I wrote almost the same blog exactly four years ago: http://writinggal.blogspot.com/2007/01/christmas-gettin-dundies-with-it.html

Writinggal said...

Oh, and I just found a Christmas candle in the half bath. Doh!!

Kristin said...

I kind of think of the holiday season like a movie. You are all into this imaginary world, and then someone flips on the lights, and you realize it was all pretend. Then you see the the cast and crew, and special effects and the mystery is gone...

Writinggal said...

Another interesting analogy!

And I found a snow globe today. It never ends!

Oh, and Leo is now calling out the neighbors with decorations. "But it's not Christmas time!" he says.

Granny Jo said...

We still have our Advent wreath...hopefully we can burn down the candles by this weekend!!!