Search This Blog

Monday, September 28, 2009

Things I wish I liked: Museums

When Frank and I went to Europe in 2005, we visited a lot of museums. I wore a sweater even though it was as hot as back home in Texas because that was the rule. We waited in really long lines for some of these museums. Oh, and we paid a lot of money too.

So when we got to the Italian coast and were relaxing on the beach, Frank said, “I like this place the best. I think it’s because it doesn’t have any museums.”

“Me too!” I said (happy not to have to be the first one to say it; it’s sort of the same as saying, “Boy am I glad church is over.”)

I appreciate museums. I totally admire the artists who painted the paintings and the sculptors who sculpted the sculptures that are in museums. I mean, the closest I’ve ever come to sculpting something is when I was about seven and I made a ceramic bunny and duck for Easter. I gave them both to my mom and told her to choose which one she wanted. “I’ll take this one because I like dogs,” she said of the bunny. So I admit that sculpting and really, any art that you do with your hands, is impressive.

I respect people who go to museums. When someone says they’re planning to visit one, I don’t think, “Ew, how could they do that?” (which is what I think about people who attend monster truck shows). I think, “They’re smart. They’re civilized. They’re sophisticated.”

I, too, would like to be smart, civilized and sophisticated. But if visiting museums is what it takes, I guess I’d rather be dumb, savage-like and immature.

Because, for me, museums are just boring. I try to get meaning out of the paintings. I try to stare a long time at the sculptures. But after about 30 seconds, I’m like, “Okay, can we get to the beach part of our vacation now?”

The Sistine Chapel was pretty cool. But we were crammed in there with hundreds of other people all talking and mumbling (which you’re not supposed to do) so I didn’t really have that Sistine Chapel moment.

I love the idea of going to a party at a museum—wine, cheese, socialize, maybe check out some paintings. So if you want to invite me to one of those, feel free.

But just going to a museum to look at an exhibit? Not for me. But I wish it was. Because there’s really not much else to do in Europe.

4 comments:

Granny Jo said...

Come visit us in Houston...the Museum of Natural Science has Friday Night parties, wine,beer, mixed drinks, snacks, music, lots of FUN! We'll even stay home and babysit Leo so you and Frank can have a date night...at the Museum

Writinggal said...

I've heard that museum is pretty cool! And I don't think you have to wear a sweater.

Museum Guy said...

HMNS is fantastic! Imagine a board game appropriate for ages 0-100. You should check it out!

Writinggal said...

Thanks, Museum Guy (who is my friend Leigh Ann's husband, Jason, who works in PR at the Museum of Natural Science)for your unbiased comment :)