Search This Blog

Monday, August 04, 2008

The Dad List Recap

I'm very pleased with the results from the Dad list. And while they didn't get around to hanging a towel rack in my kitchen cabinet, they more then made up for it by doing at least four additional projects that weren't on the original list.






The biggest project that wasn't on the original list was changing out the stair balusters. It's a long story why we needed it done so I'll give you the Cliffs Notes version:


  • Our white wooden balusters weren't to code


  • I didn't like our white wooden balusters



  • Bringing the white wooden balusters to code is a huge, expensive project when you hire someone to do it. (I checked.)



  • Having your father-in-law and husband do the huge, expensive project themselves sounds impossible. I didn't think it could be done but as long as they were going to try, I preferred iron balusters.



  • They tried. They did it.



  • Now our balusters are to code. I love our iron balusters.

A lot of sweat went into creating our new staircase:














Frank and his dad showing off the "afters" of their weekend projects:


Stairs (not on the original list):





Ceiling fan in guest bedroom (not on the list):
A dimmer for my kitchen (not on the list):




An improved kitchen cabinet and faucet which used to not open and leak, respectively:


A gate in our back fence (on the list)




I felt a little guilty that Frank's dad spent his vacation fixing up our house but he assured me that he loves nothing more than to do projects with his son. Good thing because I've already got the list started for next year!




4 comments:

Jessi said...

Are the Simcik men shrinking cause that fence looks tall.

Writinggal said...

The fence is definitely tall. The Simcik men are not-so-definitely tall but not shrinking!

Kristin said...

The new railing looks awesome! Now Leo will be safe when he learns to go up and down the stairs!

Lori said...

Beautiful!