Search This Blog

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Aunt Elsa


My grandma makes this dessert called Aunt Sue. It's like whip cream and graham cracker and chocolate and nuts. It's basically awesome. She always makes it when I come to visit. And the first time Frank came to visit her he tried it. He mentioned that he thought it was pretty good too.


"Guess what?!" Grandma announced to everyone. "Elsa LOVES Aunt Sue. Frank LOVES Aunt Sue. It was meant to be!"


We figured we had to stay together after that.


Oh, but my point is to tell you why it's called Aunt Sue:


Many, many years ago (I'm talking the 80's) one of my dad's cousins brought his girlfriend, Rhonda, to grandma's house. She brought this dessert. Everyone raved about it and of course asked what it was called. She said, "I don't know. It's my Aunt Sue's recipe." Thus it was dubbed Aunt Sue.


Rhonda's long out of the picture. Aunt Sue is not.


Today I made a dessert for Frank that was officially called the Cookies and Cream Freeze.


Frank ate it and said, "It's like a different flavored Aunt Sue!"


"What a compliment!" I said. "What should we call it? Aunt Suzanne?"


"Sure," he said, still chowing down on it.


"Or Aunt Cookie?" I suggested.


"That's fine," he replied, not paying attention.


Since I knew I could call it anything I wanted at that point, I announced that this fine dessert, that wasn't actually my own creation, would be Aunt Elsa.


Here is the recipe. If you and your significant other both like it, I don't think it means you were meant to be. It just means you like awesome desserts.


2 comments:

Kristin said...

Yummy Aunt Sue!

Do you have that recipe?

Writinggal said...

I don't have the Aunt Sue recipe but I should get it! I've had similar desserts called "Sex in a pan." I prefer to call it Aunt Sue though.