Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Princess (or Prince) and the Pea

My mom calls me the Princess and the Pea. You remember her, right? She could feel a pea under a mattress even when they put dozens of mattresses on top of it. I think the moral of the story is that you shouldn’t be so finicky. I think.

The reason she and I are kin is because I don’t like things like clothing tags touching me. Or a piece of hair brushing my cheek. Or shirts that come up too close to my neck. Or people touching me in general.

Apparently, BS is the same way. My little princess (or prince) and the pea does not like me to put anything on my belly. So if I’m sitting with my arms crossed over it, I get a big old kick. If I’m at my desk and my belly touches the edge of it, more kicks. But the absolutely biggest reaction comes when I read a book. I guess the corner of it starts to push down onto my belly and BS just goes nuts:

“Get that book off me, mom! I barely have enough room in here as it is!”

I’m not positive if BS is as finicky as I am but just to be sure, I think I’ll put a pea under the crib mattress and find out.

1 comment:

Kristin W said...

Yes, sounds like BS has inherited the "Princess and the Pea" syndrome from us.
This is why I do not like socks, because the seam touches the top of my toes. I also do not like pants because there are too may places that touch. This is why I can usually be found in skirts and sandals! Long live the Princesses!