Search This Blog

Monday, December 31, 2007

Shattered Dream

Being a P.E. coach isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. Even being a 30-minute P.E. coach twice a week for the YMCA. I tried it. I considered it for about 25 seconds and then I changed my mind. Here’s why:

They don’t listen.
They scream.
They can only focus on one activity for about 45 seconds. Then you have to move on to something else. That’s like 18 activities I’d have to come up with.
They scream some more.
They’re not nice to each other.
They complain a lot.

Now I could get past all of the above if it were a different age group. But let me tell you something I learned about the 6-9 year-olds: They’re not really all that cute. This is the stage where they become a little big raggedy. They look like little match kids. So not only are they annoying but they don’t even make up for it in cuteness.

If they were cute I still wouldn’t like the screaming, complaining, ADD, etc. but at least I could put off my aggravation for about 20 minutes while I focused on their cuteness. And by the time I was sick of them, it would be almost time to go.

But with these kids, I was over it the moment they walked in the door.

So my whistle is off to all the P.E. coaches out there. I thought you had an easy job. But now I know that you not only have to entertain kids for eight hours a day, you have to entertain not-so-cute kids for eight hours a day. And if you’re a Junior High P.E. coach…well, then, I’ll keep you in my prayers.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hahahaha!!! I just finished 7 weeks as a PE coach for 5th and 6th graders...not fun. But I loved the little kids. The trick is to not make eye contact if they get hit...chances are good they won't complain about it if you don't see it! :o)