Search This Blog

Friday, December 09, 2005

Why Rick Springfield Kinda Rocks


Now normally only people who totally rock make my blog but I had to give a shout out to Rick Springfield. Why does he kinda rock? It depends on how you look at it: Is it more important to have A LOT of mediocre songs or one exceptionally awesome, kick-ass song? If that one song is Jessi’s Girl, then I’ll take it.

Jessi’s Girl is a masterpiece. Let me point out my favorite parts:




  • First, there’s the rockin’ guitar solos—nah, nah, nah, nah, nananana
  • Then there’s the quiet rhythmic verses where Rick’s voice gets softer and the instruments are really subtle (“I played along with the charade.”)
  • Natch, there’s the lyrics:
    “…and she’s lovin’ him with that body I just know it”
    “I’ve been funny, I’ve been cool with the lines. Ain’t that the way love’s supposed to be?”
    “I feel so dirty when they start talkin’ cute.”

I heard Rick on a radio interview the other day and he said Jessi’s girl is a REAL person. But the guy’s name was Gary. Can you imagine how different our lives would be if the song was, “I wish that I had Gary’s Girl?” Actually, I kinda like the alliteration. No, no. It has to be Jessi.

But poor Rick. He was doing this radio interview in an effort to promote some new album full of cover songs and all the DJs wanted to ask about was Jessi’s Girl. I mean, the guy sang TONS of songs (although I can’t name any besides JG) and he starred on General Hospital! But everywhere he goes I bet people play air guitar and sing the chorus.

He shouldn’t feel bummed about it though. I mean, some people never have a hit song. I know I haven’t. Have you? So that’s something to be proud of. It’s just weird to be defined by one thing. It’s like Kato Kaelin. Or Baby Jessica. Or that guy with the shampoo bottle from my junior high.

I know if I met him I couldn’t resist either. I’d say, “Rick, I wanna tell you that I love you but the point is probably mute.” And of course I'd tell him that he kinda rocks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I totally remember the shampoo bottle guy, weren't we in the 7th grade. ICH!! I don't think I've thought of that since then.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Did you hear he's back on GH? After 20 something years...playing the same character. Wonder how they work that out.

Writinggal said...

Lisa: Yep, it was 7th grade. Notice he didn't show up to the reunion.

Tay: I didn't know! I'm sure amnesia is involved. It always is.

Anonymous said...

I forgot about that poor guy also!! On another note, I tried to give Ashley Simpson a try after reading about why she rocked, but I just can't give it to her with that L-O, L-O, L-O-V-E song - are her other songs better than that one????

Anonymous said...

Yes, Rick is back on GH, too bad I do not have Tivo.

I am sure his character had amnesia, or he is playing his evil twin.

Writinggal said...

KC: I thought you would like that song being a former cheerleader :) No, I actually don't know it. Her new song, "boyfriend" rocks. And everything on her first album rocks. I know you would like it!

KW: Evil twins are popular on soaps too. And sometimes ghosts.