Search This Blog

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Gus' Two-Year-Old Stats and Stuff

And in this corner, weighing in at 27 pounds, in the 53rd percentile, with a height of 35.5 inches, in the 78th percentile, it's TWO-year-old...

AUGUST FRANK SIMCIK





At Gus' 18 month appointment back in December, I expressed concern to the doctor because he could only say seven words, and "mama" wasn't one of them. She said to watch it until his 2-year appt. and see if there was any improvement. After we left the doctor's office that day and I was getting him out of the car somewhere else, he said, "Mama!" Leo said, "You should call the doctor and tell her!" (I think I have told this story before. Yep, I have.) 

And since then his language has really taken off. There's no "counting words" anymore. He says tons of words and phrases and sentences: "I eat cake! I hold that. I call Tiga. I wah Go-fish. I want hot dog too!" Leo says, "Gus said castle and dragon as clearly as people do!" 

Since his favorite letter is G (obviously), he does like to add it to a lot of words: Potty is Poggy, Color is Co-gor, etc. (I threw in that etc. because I can't think of anymore examples but he does it to a lot. Oh, I got one: water is waga.) 

He LOVES sports. Right now his favorite is baseball: "I hit baseball." He can hit the ball off the tee just as well as Leo's t-ball teammates. (Sorry, Bulldogs.) And oh, does he want to play! He brings his own glove and will put on a baseball helmet like he's going up to bat. He's also a fan of basketball, soccer, football and most recently, golf. 

Everything belongs to him. "We're going to the pool," I'll say and Gus says, "My pool." People belong to them too. I'll say, "We're going to swim lessons with Ms. Katie," and Gus will say, "My Ms. Ka-gee." 

One thing that is definitely his is his beloved shoo shoo. If possible, I think he is more attached to it then ever. He has to have it in the car, while he watches TV and if he ever gets upset. "Where shoo shoo go?" he says. And of course he MUST have it while he naps and sleeps. And he knows there are three but that's ok with him. They all have different names: "Night night shoo shoo" stays upstairs in his room; "Play shoo shoo" stays downstairs; "Car shoo shoo" goes in the car and gets dragged around public places. At least I am able to switch them around. Cause I can only wash play and car shoo shoos and then I have to rotate them so that one of them becomes night night shoo shoo. It's complicated. 

He still calls Leo "Le-lo" (rhymes with yellow). And he can say his name but sometimes it sounds like "Gas." He also knows that his real name is August. He says, "I August!" Here is what he thinks of our family: "Mama Talk," "Dada Mow," "Le-lo High Pad." When he says "Mama Talk" he points up to the camera for his baby monitor where he's heard my voice come through before. He's obsessed with the lawn mower so he always points out the window and says "Dada Mow" and if he sees someone mowing a lawn (or even hears it) he says, "I saw mow." Yes, past tense and everything :) So when he said "Mama Talk" and "Dada Mow" I asked him what Leo does and he said "Leo High Pad." (Leo plays with the iPad.) 

He likes to give everybody things that belong to them, especially shoes. If he sees our shoes sitting by the door or the stairs, he picks them up, brings them over and says, "Here ya go, Mama" or "Here ya go, Le-lo." 

His manners are coming along quicker than Leo's did. He usually says "Dank-you, Mama" when I give him food and "Sorry, Le-lo" when he hits his brother (which is about 37 times a day). And he says "Please" the cutest way. It's like "Peeeese" and it goes high at the end. "Can I have lion milk, peeese?" It's not that clear but I know what he's saying. 

He can count to ten. So if I am trying to get him to come to me and I say, "Come here now, Gus. 1...2...3" he says "foh, fi, sic, segun, eight, ni, ten!" He even got up to twelve the other day. He knows he is two and will tell people that when they ask.

Colors, well, he can't be good at everything. 

He loves Frank's guitars or "gee-tars" as he calls them. "I play Dada gee-tar!" he says before knocking it off the stand. His favorite thing is when Frank plays the guitar for him and sings "The Leo and Gus Boogie." Here's a sample: 

Leo and Gus Boogie
(music and lyrics by Dada)
There once was a boy named Gus-a-roo
He liked to hold his shoo shoo
He liked to go poo poo
The Leo and Gus Boogie

Here's a video of Gus opening up a present from Uncle Doug and Aunt Julie, his Godparents. You can hear how he says "Guitar." 




For the most part, he is happy and easy going but when he's not, he is not. If he's in a bad mood, everything makes him mad and he'll cry about indefinitely. When he gets into this zone he often wants his shoo shoo, his thumb and he tells me, "Mama, hold you." Le-lo used to say this too so we think it's funny. 

Here are some more pics of our big two-year-old. As Leo says, "There are no babies in this family anymore!" Is he TRYING to make me cry? 

"The flash on your phone is too bright!" 

"Who are you calling a baby?" 

 "Raise the roof! I'm two!" 

"Oh, am I cute? I had no idea!" 

"Cheese!" 

"CHEEEEEESE!!!" 

"I see! I see!" 


"I'm TWO cool for this, lady." 

What a difference...

...two years makes! 


3 comments:

Liz said...

I mean... that boy is SO cute. Those first pictures... precious! Way to grow, Gus! ;)

Writinggal said...

Thanks, She! The first ones were professional so they brought out the best in him :

Jacquie said...

Love your "difference" pics! Happy birthday, sweet Gus!