Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Calculatin’ Old School

 

You know I don’t hang onto things forever so this is a big deal. I have had the same calculator since the seventh grade!

For 22 years, this bad boy has gotten me through homework, work assignments and bills. I just used it to figure out how long I’ve had it!

It’s a Texas Instruments Math Explorer. In seventh grade we HAD to purchase one. It was mandatory. They don’t make ‘em like this anymore. See, it’s not only solar powered, it does fractions. I can add fractions, subtract em, even divide them. It also has a backspace button so you can delete one part of an equation without having to start all over.

IMG_3773

The T.I.M.E. (ha, just realized it has a cool acronym) has moved with me at least nine times. It has a handy case that I always keep it in. It only covers the front so the back has some issues—like remnants of gum that got stuck in it in high school and a sticker that says “I’m the type to save lives” from a blood donating experience back in the early part of this century.

Just in case my parents were a little put off by the fact that we had to purchase this special calculator, I thought it would be comforting for them to know that not only did it get me through seventh grade math and fractions, but I haven’t had to purchase another calculator since then. It’s not like this is one of many. It’s not even one of two. It is my ONLY calculator. The only one I have ever owned.

Sure, other calculators live at our house but I don’t touch them. Frank has his fancy “financial” calculator that brings back bad memories of when we were buying our first house together. We were in the realtor’s office, going over the paperwork and he was totally taking the lead on the mortgage part of it. (I was more in charge of décor.) In the middle of the discussion he ordered me to “go to the car and get my financial calculator.” After that incident I’ve never liked that financial calculator so I’ve never used it. (Or maybe I just don’t know how to use it.)

Leo also loves my calculator. He plays with it and loves to say the word “cal-cu-a-la-tor.”

I usually don’t mourn the loss of “stuff” but I would be seriously sad if I lost my calculator.

Good news. I just looked it up and while TI has replaced it with something else, they say they still have a few of my kind left. Look, it’s curvier and fancier looking!

 

 calculatorsource_2144_23432261

Maybe I should go ahead and get one for Leo. You know, for when he learns fractions.

4 comments:

Jacquie said...

Only one thing would make it better-- jewels.

Granny Jo said...

Wow! Something you didn't throw out!!!

Writinggal said...

I should totally be-jewel up that bad boy!!

That's right, GJ! In fact, I can't think of anything I still own that I've had as long.

Kristin said...

I was totally jealous of the fact that it did fractions!