Search This Blog

Monday, January 04, 2010

Things I wish I liked: skiing

I can totally see the appeal of skiing: it's a rush, it's good exercise, it involves cute apparel. I can also see the appeal of the skiing lifestyle: it's fun, it's fancy, it involes beautiful scenery. Also, I love sports that encourage drinking and relaxing once you've completed them. Skiing totally does that. After a hard day of skiing, you're expected to sit in a hot tub and drink warm, fizzy things.

The problem is, I don't like it.


I tried it once. I didn't like the lifts, I didn't like the cute apparel (way too much of it), I didn't like the expense and I didn't like actually skiing. It's hard. And it's cold. I don't like being cold. I don't like running into people. I don't like being scared. I don't like taking 45 minutes to get dressed.

It's all way too much work for that drink in the hot tub.


But people look really cool when they ski. Like look at us here:



We're not skiing but we look like we are. My dad says we look as cool as Brangelina. It doesn't get much cooler than that.


I like looking cool. I like being compared to a mega-celeb-couple with a mega-diverse-fam. I like to say things like, "Ready for another day on the slopes!" and "I ski blacks."


But alas, it's just not fun to me. I'd so much rather sit on a beach. I'm not totally lazy; I'll walk on the beach too. I just don't like to put on a bunch of clothes...or go downhill...or again, be cold.

On the beach you can wear next to nothing, still get exercise AND have a fun drink at the end. Another point for beaches--you can even have a drink WHILE you're walking on the sand. Can't do that in the snow. So skiing--I wish I liked you. But I don't.

4 comments:

Granny Jo said...

Couldn't agree more!

Kristin said...

I second that! I would like to try the "snow slide" though!
Of course if there was a super handsome ski instructor I could change my mind....

GR said...

Skiing involves a lot of expensive equipment, plus the lift tickets, etc. I'm a minimalist and prefer the beach.

Jessi said...

I have a love/hate relationship with skiing. While in Utah, we'd pick a new resort to ski at every year. And each year, I'd take a lesson. I'd end the lesson confident I could handle it.

But then I'd go too fast and fall, always ending up with one leg up the hill, one down, for sure about to break something. On a GREEN hill! Humiliated and embarrassed, I'd go home vowing to never do it again.

Until the next year rolls around. It's a vicious cycle. Good thing Minnesota doesn't have any mountains.