Search This Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Generic Blog

Have you ever had generic Mac N Cheese? I do not recommend it. I would have thought it would be tough to get Mac N Cheese wrong but Kroger managed to do it. That got me thinking, what other items are private label losers?

Saran wrap: This stuff is tricky enough to deal with but at least leave it to the experts at Cling Wrap. I’ve got some generic “plastic wrap” in my pantry and it’s a nightmare. It clings before it’s supposed to and it’s difficult to cut.

Aluminum foil: Same situation as above. Stick with Reynold’s.

Soup: Only Campbell’s can get chicken noodle right.

Pimento Cheese: Price’s all the way. Off-brand is bland.

Health and Beauty products: People, do not buy your shampoo, conditioner, soap or toothpaste from the white aisle. You’ll be cursed with flakey scalp, tangles, a rash and plaque. It’s not worth it.

Chips: I’m mainly saying this out of loyalty to Frito Lay but come on, off-brand Doritos? It’s un-American.

Diapers: I’m not gonna risk a blow out to save a buck.



And here are some of my go-to generic products:

Milk: I see no reason to pay $1 more for Borden. Sometimes I splurge on 8th Continent Vanilla Soy though.

Ice Cream: My friends at Kroger make yummy Private Selections flavors.

Eggs: okay, basically anything in the dairy aisle. Even cheese is okay by me (with the exception of pimento as discussed above).

Cereal: Kroger wins again with Muesili which I just had this morning. Between that and my milk, it was quite an affordable breakfast. But I still love expensive Kashi.

Generic Fiber One Bars: Now, they’re not as good as Fiber Ones but I do like me some Active Lifestyle Bars. If they’re on sale, I go with them.

Bread: Again, my hat is off to Private Selections at Kroger for their line of breads like the flax seed slices I’m loving right now.

Water: Your bottle won’t look as cool but it will taste the same.

Cookies: Frank actually prefers Chip Mates over Chips Ahoy.

The only thing I’m on the fence about is soda. Since I don’t drink it I’ll have to leave that up to the caffeine connoisseurs. Whaddya think? Dr. Thunder? Mountain Lightning? Goes against my rule about not drinking anything named after bad weather.

10 comments:

Liz said...

I say "NO" to generic soda. I have some friends who are definitely okay with Dr. Thunder or whatever it is... but since I drink the diet versions, I don't think those are as easy to copy.

Another thing I don't buy generic, light bulbs. I buy the GE Reveal bulbs or the energy-saving bulbs. I buy HEB Paper Towels. They are awesome. I can't think of anything else for the moment. But I do know you are a much better generic shopper than I am! I am a sucker for the brand names.

Writinggal said...

Thanks for your input, She. Your mention of PTs reminded me of another generic no-no: TP!

Thea said...

Wow, big no on generic Diet Coke. That's just plain wrong.

I just this weekend discovered Target's version of the Fiber One bar and while I prefer the original, the $1.25 in savings makes up for the flavor difference.

I can't believe the former Queen of Mrs. Bairds is buying generic breda! :)

Writinggal said...

I feel okay about the generic bread since they don't have MB here. But don't tell my friends at Bimbo.

I will have to check out those Target generic Fiber Ones!

heyomar said...

Do you have a Whole Foods? Their 365 fig cookies rock my world! Better than Fig Newtons, better than Barbara's, better than Fig Newman's (sorry Paul, I like your salad dressings, though).

And, the 365 brand is cheaper and organic. I like to think that means I can eat more of them because they are good for you. Right?

Writinggal said...

Better than Fig Newmans? I've gotta try these! Yes, we do have Whole Foods here and also Harry's which is owned by Whole Foods.

And you can totally eat a box in one sitting if it's organic :)

Kristin said...

365 brand items are really great, I do not even think of them as generic

I got some great CVS kitchen trash bags with handles. The best part is you do not have to pull apart each bag. They are already separated.

Sodas have to be name brand, except Market Pantry Diet Iced Tea is not bad!

Writinggal said...

Just got back from Kroger. Bought some generic Cheerios. We'll see what Frank says!

Writinggal said...

Mikey likes 'em!

Lori said...

Try the generic diapers. They are wonderful! They work just fine! I've been using them since day one. So much cheaper. Like half the price.