Search This Blog

Monday, July 14, 2008

The Accidental Vegetarian

“If it doesn’t have meat in it, it’s not a meal.” That’s Frank’s motto. It’s tricky because I have lots of good meatless recipes. Like tonight, for instance, I want to make Weight Watchers Mac N Cheese. It’s got cheese, tomatoes and pasta—plenty of substance. But I’m already defrosting chicken because I know it’s gotta have meat. Spinach enchiladas turn into chicken and spinach enchiladas. Black bean quesadillas become beef and black bean quesadillas. Veggie pizza must be shrimp and veggie pizza. (Shrimp counts in Frank’s book.)

Yesterday, Frank made a Trader Joe’s chili lime chicken burger for lunch. (Have you had those, btw? I heard about them from neighbors and had to get them. Very good. I recommend. But most of you don’t have TJs. So sad.)

He put it in a tortilla and I asked him to give me a bite. “That is so good!” I said. “It tastes even better then when I had it last weekend. What did you do differently?”

“I put these Fritos in it,” he said. (Plug for Frito Lay product: Tim McGraw’s Spicy Jalepeno Fritos. I think they’re only here for a limited time so better grab ‘em while you can.)

“That must be it,” I said and requested another bite.

But then I saw the empty box on the counter. It didn’t say Trader Joe’s chili lime chicken burgers. Nope. It said Morningstar Farms veggie burgers.

“Frank! You didn’t eat a chicken burger. You ate a VEGGIE burger!” I said.

“WHAT?” He was horrified as he read the box: “100% vegetarian? Made with organic soy? Yuck!”

“But you LIKED it!” I told him.

That was the last of our veggie burgers but I suspect now that he’s had a taste of it, he might start requesting them (or “accidentally” eating mine).

7 comments:

Jessi said...

I deal with the same issue with Justin. He thinks if it's soy, he'll turn into a girl (I have NO idea where he came up with that).

We had TJ's in Vegas. Loved their peanut butter cups!

Writinggal said...

I love PB. Tell me about these Peanut Butter cups!

I get my "Better N Peanut Buter" there.

Betcha miss TJs now that you live in Minn. But at least you're not sweating too bad.

Jessi said...

Oh snap! I just looked and there are 3 in the twin cities!

They are mini peanut butter cups in a carton. They go quick cause they are small.

I've heard good reviews on "better n pb" is it just as good as anything else?

heyomar said...

Love the MS veggie burgers! Even Jonah (sometimes) likes them!

Writinggal said...

Maybe Leo will like MS veggie burgers too! Right now he's just into milk.

Jessi, the review you're thinking of is probably Writinggal's: http://writinggal.blogspot.com/2007/07/prodigal-peanut-butter.html

And Frank also thinks that if he uses a straw he will turn into a girl.

Thea said...

I was just telling coworkers about Tim McGraw's today at lunch and how awesome they are! Too funny!

Writinggal said...

Frank was eating the Tim McGraw Fritos tonight and he said, "I'm going to turn into Tim McGraw!" and then he looked at me all accusingly and said, "I bet you would like that. Wouldn't you?"