Search This Blog

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Gus, Fighting for Jesus


Last night while trying to get the boys bathed and into bed, Gus threw a fit. He was in the bathroom using the potty and Frank checked on him a couple of times--"Gus, are you done? Are you ready to get in the bathtub?" and "Gus, it's your turn in the bath!" Both were met with screams of "I NEED PRIVACY!!" 

When he finally emerged, he was crying and screaming: 

"Why did Daddy keep checking on me?!! Why wouldn't Daddy leave me alone? I wanted privacy!!" 

And then he said one of the best things ever: 

"OH, I GUESS DADDY DOESN'T LOVE JESUS!!" 


How could we be expected to keep straight faces after that? We couldn't. So through a crooked smile I said, "Of course Daddy loves Jesus." And then Frank crouched down to Gus' level as he said, "I totally love Jesus!" while trying not to laugh. 





Later, during another fit over teeth brushing (he was tired from a long day of suburban summer activities) he again questioned Frank's commitment to the Son of God: 

"DADDY, WHY DON'T YOU LOVE JESUS?" he yelled. 

To that, we just said, "Go to bed." 

And then Frank had to go to confession. "Forgive me father, for I have sinned. I did not respect my 4-year-old's wishes for privacy and I told him he couldn't brush his teeth with his magic timer app. So I guess that means I don't love Jesus--because I understand from my four year old that He is really into privacy and iPads." 



1 comment:

Kristin said...

I love the way Gus jumps right to questioning Frank's religious beliefs. No, "Daddy is mean," or "I don't like you daddy.," just straight to his belief system. The teenage years will be interesting with that one.